Export thread

Toro Wheelhorse XL12-38 stalls after about 15mins

B

bluegirl

Some days I get 30 mins cutting and other times only 5 mins.It sputters alot and runs rough until it finally stalls. Feels like running out of gas. So I'm either looking at an ignition coil or a fuel issue. The fuel filter has gas in it, but can't really see if it is moving or not. I have stabilizer in the gas. I just changed the oil so that's not it. I shall get some carb cleaner to try the burst of cleaner into air chamber to see if it continues running. It would be cool if it was just a restricted fuel filter but alas I do not have that sort of luck. I took the ignition coil off to have a look at it and it does have continuity. Bad kill wire? Could that be? The flywheel is rusty but has alot of magnetism. The ignition coil is original (1995)so maybe it's bad. I have read that when they get hot the heat causes the "wire" to separate. Can just the wire be replaced? Doesn't look like it.
What's my cheapest plan of attack? I've just rebuilt the deck spindles so not too keen to keep throwing $$$ at this machine if I don't need to.

R

Rivets

Let's test a couple of things first, before you go sticking money into it. First, the next time it happens immediately check to see if you have spark. If no spark I would assume that your coil is bad and will need to be replaced. If you have spark, then it is probably a fuel issue. I would like you to then loosen the gas cap when it starts to sputter. I know that you might not get it started right after checking for spark and may have to wait awhile to get it going again. What we are checking is to see if a vacuum is being created in the tank, due to the vent in the cap being clogged. Report back what you find, I may not answer right away, but will do so as soon as I can.

B

bluegirl

I had tried loosening the gas cap but this did not make a difference. That would have been nice How do you test for spark? Thought about cleaning the carb?

B

bluegirl

Hey Mechanic Mark. Thanks for the manuals links. Will sift thru to see what I can see.

R

Rivets

Going to need a helper. When it quits, as quick as you can remove the spark plug wire from the plug and insert a new plug into the wire. While you hold the plug tight to the engine metal, have someone turn the engine over with the starter. Watch to see if a spark jumps the gap.

B

bluegirl

I tested the coil & kill wire while cold with my multimeter. Coil tested 5000 & the kill wire tested infinity?Is this information of value or does it need to be tested when hot. I sanded the rust off the magnet & coil just to optimize everything & used a business card to gap. If only the rain would stop.

R

Rivets

Sorry, with today's coils resistance readings don't offer a lot of help. You cannot test the capacitor inside the coil which may be bad.

B

bluegirl

I finally had a chance to get back on my mower today. Did 2 tests when she was about to pooch out. Was able to short burst carb cleaner into the air inlet and to check for spark. So the verdict is good spark with a new spark plug and the engine would continue running with the carb cleaner. That, I assume, points me to a fuel problem. What I don't understand is why it stalls only once it's warm. Also, will a carb cleaning be sufficient? Getting to the end of season here.

R

Rivets

Please post the engine model numbers. After those tests we know it is a fuel problem, but what part of the fuel system is what we need to find. If your engine has a fuel pump it could be a bad pulse line. If your carb fuel solenoid, it could have a hot short, cutting off the fuel when it gets warm. If could just need a good carb cleaning. Have you looked to see if there might be something in the gas tank that could be blocking the fuel flow after the unit is bounced around?

B

bluegirl

This is the parts manual for my machine. Toro 71181-5910001 and up I'll look up the B&S number later if needed.

Attachments

• Toro Mower Parts Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

B

bluegirl

Here's my parts guide attached. I have checked the fuel tank and it seems fine & I'm pretty sure it is gravity fed fuel system.

Attachments

• Toro Mower Parts Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

R

Rivets

Thank you for the parts guide, saved me some time. It has your engine and numbers in it so you don't have to go looking for them. Yes, you have a gravity feel system. I would like you to do one more test before sticking money into it. This might also need a helper, because time will be a premium. First, remove the fuel line from the carb and drain some into a container. Notice how fast it runs, as it should flow very fast. Second, reattach the fuel line to the carb, but do not install the clamp. Third, start the engine and run until it stalls out. Immediately remove the fuel line from the carb and notice the rate of flow. If it is the same as before we can now assume that you have a problem in the carb. If the rate of flow is slower, then we have to check for a restriction in the fuel line. If you have a good steady flow each time, I would recommend rebuilding the carb. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

B

bluegirl

So low and behold, found blocking the fuel out port in the tank was a small round disk from the fuel stabilizer bottle I assume.It was the same colour as the tank so perfectly cammouflaged. Haven't had the problem since. Yay for the Dutch girl but oh so stupid! Thanks for your help all. Mower retired for the season.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Kudos to Rivets for excellent detective work. :thumbsup:

There's a lesson to be learned here that's worth repeating: be very careful with what you put in the gas tank. It's worth the effort to wipe the cap and surrounding area clean every time you remove the cap -- likewise, keep the gas container clean. Also, it's better to mix the stabilizer in the gas container than in the mower's tank.

B

bluegirl

I can't figure out how it got in there. I mix the stabilizer in the jerri can and I have one that has a gas pump type fixture and is much smaller than that disc. I bought the mower used years ago so maybe it's been floating in there all along. We'll never know. We have 2 feet of snow here in Ontario now so my mowing season is over. It's come very early and I haven't even winterized yet! Next week it'll probably rain and it'll all be gone.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I can't figure out how it got in there. I mix the stabilizer in the jerri can and I have one that has a gas pump type fixture and is much smaller than that disc. I bought the mower used years ago so maybe it's been floating in there all along. We'll never know. We have 2 feet of snow here in Ontario now so my mowing season is over. It's come very early and I haven't even winterized yet! Next week it'll probably rain and it'll all be gone.

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about that disc in your tank... I just wanted to mention that it's worth the effort to be really careful whenever you open the gas cap. It saves you from so much trouble.

BTW, it's freezing here in Atlanta but we won't see snow any time soon.