Engine Toro/WH 523dxi Starter Issue

mzerbe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Curious if anyone has experienced starter issues with a Toro/WH 523dxi? Specifically, issues with the starter bendix not disengaging after the engine starts.
Immediately after starting the tractor the glow plug indicator lights back up. When I shut down the engine I can hear the start wind down. I've verified that the starter is engaged with the engine running by visually inspecting it while running. When I shut down the engine the starter disengages.
The starter looks to be securely mounted to the engine so I don't think the issue is due to misalignment. Additionally, the starter shaft surface appears to be clean and I've sprayed some lube on the shaft while the engine was running with the starter gear engaged with the flywheel.
Normally, I would just replace the starter but it's discontinued and available NOS units are approx. $475. I don't have any issues buying a replacement but want to make sure it's going to resolve the issue before doing so.
Any insights/recommendations anyone can offer are greatly appreciated.

Regards

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
TractorData.com Toro Wheel Horse 523Dxi tractor engine information Post all engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx. My Vanguard repair manual:problem: starter motor spins but does not stop: a. defective starter switch b. defective solenoid If you purchase engine repair manual it will serve you well, just post numbers & I'll try to find your manual.

Let us know what you find.

mzerbe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks mechanic mark and rivets for your replies.
The machine has 2 starter solenoids in the starting circuit. The primary solenoid which closes the circuit to power the starter is mounted on the starter (typical of an automotive starter) and isn't serviceable/replaceable to the best of my knowledge. The second solenoid supplies power to the primary solenoid on the starter and is replaceable and inexpensive ($10 - $15 depending on source). I've ordered it and plan on installing this weekend if it arrives by then. I can test to determine if it's the problem prior to the new relay arriving by starting the engine and then disconnecting the lead from the second solenoid to the primary solenoid.
I'm hoping the problem is due to the second solenoid as removing the starter from the engine appears to be a real job. The mounting bolts are fed through the rear of the block so I would have to remove a bunch of items to get to them.
Again, thanks for your replies and I'll follow-up once I have a better idea of the source of the problem.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks mechanic mark and rivets for your replies.
The machine has 2 starter solenoids in the starting circuit. The primary solenoid which closes the circuit to power the starter is mounted on the starter (typical of an automotive starter) and isn't serviceable/replaceable to the best of my knowledge. The second solenoid supplies power to the primary solenoid on the starter and is replaceable and inexpensive ($10 - $15 depending on source). I've ordered it and plan on installing this weekend if it arrives by then. I can test to determine if it's the problem prior to the new relay arriving by starting the engine and then disconnecting the lead from the second solenoid to the primary solenoid.
I'm hoping the problem is due to the second solenoid as removing the starter from the engine appears to be a real job. The mounting bolts are fed through the rear of the block so I would have to remove a bunch of items to get to them.
Again, thanks for your replies and I'll follow-up once I have a better idea of the source of the problem.
Thanks mzerbe & Rivets.

mzerbe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Well, replaced all of the relays in the machine and started it again with no luck.......glow plug indicator lights up after the engine starts and the starter remains engaged with the flywheel.
This time I disconnected the lead from the secondary starter relay to the primary relay on the starter while the engine was running and the starter immediately disengaged so obviously, the issue isn't with the starter motor unit. The glow plug light remained lit with the lead to the primary starter relay disconnected while the engine was running.
So......anyone have additional insights regarding potential problem areas? I've read the glow plug timer is prone to failure but I'd like to get a better sense that it's the problem before replacing.
Again, thanks in advance for your input.

Regards