Toro TX 159 dies after a few minutes

mptvexl23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi My Dad died and I have inherited his Toro TX159 GTS. It wouldn't start at first but I cleaned the carb and it fired and I thought jobs a goodun but after a few minutes it died. So I cleaned the carb again but still it died after a few minutes. If I leave it for a minute it fires up again but lasts only a little while and then dies. It's like it gets too hot or something. I thought maybe that the petrol cap was too tight and wouldn't allow the fuel to drop down so I loosened it right off but that also failed and it wold die. I've cleaned the carb half a dozen times now but with no success. Anyone with any ideas. The air filters mint.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See that you don’t include the model and serial numbers for the unit, I’m guessing it may be model 20950. Did you remove the main nozzle and jet when you cleaned the carb? If not, they clog very easily and that would cause your problem. I’ve attached a service, but it may not be the correct one depending on you model and serial numbers. I just picked one. If you post back include all numbers. https://www.toro.com/getpub/70678

mptvexl23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Thanks for your reply. The engine model No is; 120-0176 and the serial No is; 11030000359. Yeah I removed the main nozzle and jet, pilot jet and flushed out all holes with carb cleaner. Like I said it runs for about 2-3 mins and sounds sweet and then it falters gets going again falters again, this can happen about 5-6 times before it dies. My first thoughts were that fuel was not getting in, that the fuel cap was causing a vacuum. Actually every time I took the float bowl off there was fuel in it. I'm not an expert but I can be practical.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the fuel tank . Tip the fuel out then blow it dry
A long shot but most tanks have a filter in the outlet and that can block up over time .

mptvexl23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a whirl

mptvexl23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also got some backfiring on a few trials