Toro Timcutter SS3225 burns oil

Valddlav

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I bought my mower with 20 hours last year. Previous owner said that he changed the oil once. I used it all last year with no problem.
This year I got up to 55 hrs and I figured I would change oil and airfilter , so I bought a tune up kit that had the Toro SAE 10w30 oil in it.

Since the oil change it has been burning oil 3-5 minutes into mowing. Sometimes its a big cloud of blueish smoke. Before the oil change it would occasionally have blue smoke at start up but never while running.

I was thinking it might be overheating but cooling shrouds are clean, nothing plugged.
I’m thinking maybe the oil is too thin?!

Any pointers would be appreciated. Cant believe at 60 hours I would have issues with piston rings or valve seals.

Thank you!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model and serial numbers of both the unit (under the seat) and engine. That way we will know exactly what you have as there are about 10 different setups.

gainestruk

Threads
Make sure you haven't overfilled it, 10w30 should be correct weight, when overfilled it will blow white and blue smoke, give us the engine numbers like Rivits ask and we can tell you how much oil and what weight it calls for.

Valddlav

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys! I put in about 1 and a quarter pint, the diamond area on the dip stick is little above the middle, closer to full.
Model: 74710
Serial: 316001716

Valddlav

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine model#: 121-0799
Serial#: 121079915120012073

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Couple of things don’t make sense to me, but they could be true. First, according to your serial number you have a 2016 unit, with supposedly only 20 hours on it???? Second, did the owner tell you the last time it was used, not just run? Third, do the owner tell you when he changed oil? Fourth, it started blowing smoke after you changed oil, When it starts blowing smoke, is it continuously or sporadic? When it blows smoke do you feel it loosing a little power? Sorry to ask all these questions, but my brain says something doesn’t add up. Here a service manual for the engine, but don’t start doing anything until you answer my questions. Just don’t want you to throw money at it until we have an idea what’s going on. https://www.toro.com/getpub/70680

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That may be the route to go, but need more info before suggesting how to proceed.