Mower deck Toro Sw4200 washout issue

Brucebotti

Threads
I have an MX5060 and feel like the wash port is useless. It is just a hole in the deck and the water goes straight in. It does remove some grass, but seems to cause more damage than help. The remaining grass just absorbs the water and creates rust. Maybe mine isn't the correct one.
Bruce

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the adapter does not lock on to the deck port, you were given the wrong one. If it was the correct one, it would lock tight, you would not be able to push it tighter. Goes see your dealer.

georeedy

Threads
Thanks rivets, I'm going to do that. The adapter does lock into the port but I have a feeling either the adapter is wrong or defective. The manual isn't clear on how it is supposed to work. I get the impression that you just hook it up and engage the blades, which should open up the water flow. That doesn't happen, only a trickle gets through without me jamming the adapter tight against the port. That can't be the way it's supposed to work.

georeedy

Threads
Brucebotti, my push toro works like that, with the hose screwing right into the deck. Works great but I'll tell you two things. First, you have to do it with the deck all the way down and over pavement, not on grass. Second, after you're done you have to move the mower to a dry area and run the blades dry. I rusted out my first one by not drying thoroughly. For my second toro, I sprayed a little WD40 on the underside a few times a year and make sure I dry. No rust yet after 5 years.

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti, my push toro works like that, with the hose screwing right into the deck. Works great but I'll tell you two things. First, you have to do it with the deck all the way down and over pavement, not on grass. Second, after you're done you have to move the mower to a dry area and run the blades dry. I rusted out my first one by not drying thoroughly. For my second toro, I sprayed a little WD40 on the underside a few times a year and make sure I dry. No rust yet after 5 years.

Thanks for the info. It's probably that I am just too impatient...:smile:
Bruce

jjordan189

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, just bought a new SW 4200 and I'm having a problem using the wash out port on the mulching deck. I attach the hose, engage the blades and very little water comes out. I need to sit my daughter in the seat to keep the blades going while I push the house into the adapter to get a decent flow. Even then, the deck doesn't clean, only a few blades, not the clumps. Have a 22' toro walk behind with wash out that works fine. Am I doing something wrong???

Bought a Toro MX4200 a couple of months ago. I had the same issue with the washout port. When I talked to Toro Customer Service the rep read how to use the washout port which I have never seen the instruction anywhere. The one important thing she read as part of the instruction was to apply petroleum jelly to the side of the adapter that attaches to the mower. Perfect! It snaps right in and stays firmly attached while the full force of the water gets to the underdeck!