Toro Super Recycler wheel locking backwards

thumbscore

Forum Newbie
Threads
About 15 year old Super Recycler, 20099. I've had a few bad luck problems. First the rear wheel cracked and broke off the rim, I've replaced the wheel and had no issues for the first mow. A week later on another mow, the personal pace cable got snagged on the fence, and pulled out of place in it's clamp on the handle (I heard the sound of the ribbed cable pull and slip in the clamp, rrrrip!). I have not been able to get it adjusted back correctly. The self drive is very weak even if I tighten the cable as much as possible. If I reach under and pull the bare cable with a finger while mowing, it engages fully. Also the right rear wheel is now locking up when I try to pull the mower backwards, after personal pace is engaged and then stopped. When the mower isn't running or if i start it and don't engage the self drive, it seems to roll forward and backward normally.

Am not sure how to adjust correctly..? I have pulled the cable forward and backward one ribbed 'notch' at a time and can't get it back to working the way it was.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model and serial numbers for your mower. That way we can tell which drive system you have. Second, when was the last time you changed the drive belt?

thumbscore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 20099, Serial 310000341

Have not replaced a belt, never had an issue before now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those belts should be replaced every 5-7 years, so that is part of the problem. Second, I’m willing to be that the clutch drive in both wheels need to be cleaned and worn friction ring and clutch washer will need to be replaced. I’ve attached both a parts manual and drive service manual to help you out. It is not the easiest job to do, normally takes me about 1.5 hours and I’ve done hundreds of them, but you can do it if you have the patience. As you disassemble each side carefully watch the direction you remove each part, as they can be installed backwards. I line them up in order of remove which helps with installation. Take pictures also is recommended. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446. https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails?id=35378

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should have added you’ll probably should replace the drive gears also.

thumbscore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info, I'll look into this but it's sounding pretty difficult, or at least time consuming! I might try the belt first to see how it goes.

theoldwizard1

Threads
Those belts should be replaced every 5-7 years, so that is part of the problem. Second, I’m willing to be that the clutch drive in both wheels need to be cleaned ...
Cleaning a a pain in the butt ! Not difficult, just time consuming. Cleaning out the old grease might take a whole can of Brake Parts Cleaner per side.

Be careful when you disassemble, keeping everything in order so you can reassemble properly.

theoldwizard1

Threads
Should have added you’ll probably should replace the drive gears also.
Why ? I just did my 20+ yo Super Recycler. Gear look perfect !

TIP ! If the rear wjeels/tires get worn (and they will if you have to drag it back wards), buy new front wheels/tires. The driven gear on the back is attached with metal rivets. Heat them with a propane torch and pull them out with pliers. Clean the rivets up. Re-install the old driven gears on the new front wheels/tires by heating the rivets and pressing them through the holes in the driven gear into the mount cast into the front wheels/tires ! Probably save $10 per wheel/tire !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve been working on Toro mowers since 1981 and I would never recommend reusing the drive gear off an old wheel, even to an experienced person. If not done perfectly you will ruin the new wheel and will have to purchase another one. How is that saving money. Second, I recommend changing drive gear when ever I disassemble the drive system. Dirt will wear the gear quickly and cause the OP’s problem. At least he will take a closer look when disassembling.