toro ss5000 tire pressures

Pineapple

Threads
My new ZTR (Toro ss5000) was delivered today. Totally different experience:tongue: That's another story.

I've read the manual forward and backward looking for the tire pressures and found 13 lbs for the rear tires but no mention of pressure for front tires. Googled and found an array of pressures from 8 to 35 lbs (the last figure was on a toro site). There was less than 10 in the front tires of my mower.

Does anyone know the specs for the front tire air pressure or a recommendation for the tires (front and rear). That 35 seems pretty high.

Mt 'Deere ran 10 rear 14 front. Thanks for any help.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
ForumRunner_20160909_224039.png

Need a auto translator

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro manual says to read the front tire sidewall & use that psi, mine are 22psi. But I have a 4260 Timecutter. Yours may vary.

Also make sure you have the deck slope to front in spec & side to side (after tire pressure adjustments).

And Congrats on yer New machine. :thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On that model we set them up with 13 in the rear and 25 in the front.

Princern

Forum Newbie
Threads
My new ZTR (Toro ss5000) was delivered today. Totally different experience:tongue: That's another story.

I've read the manual forward and backward looking for the tire pressures and found 13 lbs for the rear tires but no mention of pressure for front tires. Googled and found an array of pressures from 8 to 35 lbs (the last figure was on a toro site). There was less than 10 in the front tires of my mower.

Does anyone know the specs for the front tire air pressure or a recommendation for the tires (front and rear). That 35 seems pretty high.

Mt 'Deere ran 10 rear 14 front. Thanks for any help.

I had the same problem. Don't understand why they left it out of the manual. Look on the inside of the tire you will see the pressure there. I don't know if they decided to put the tires on inside out or if it matters but they could have at least printed the PSI on both sides of the tire. Mine is 20 psi.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pressure on the sidewall is the MAX recommended pressure.
On a ZTR the front casters need to be fairly hard so they turn at the slightest provocation.

Mowers , cars, motorcycles, trucks , any thing with rear wheel drive should have the driving wheels slightly softer to give better grip and the steering wheels slightly harder so they change the direction rather than twist on the side walls.

As a rule of thumb
on ZTR's front casters ~ twice the rears
on tractors fronts ~ 1.5 x the rear.

The actual numbers are not all that critical, provided you are not exceeding the MAX pressure stated on the tyre.
What is important is you maintain the pressures that were used when the deck was set up.
A few psi difference can change the attack angle of the blades from + ( front lower ) to - ( front higher) and this can make a massive difference to the cut & operation of your deck.

So drive around and mow a few times.
If the mower feels too harsh, then drop the pressure in the rears till it is comfortable for you.
Then reset the deck level at that pressure and get a paint pen to write your pressure on the side of the mower at each wheel
Try to check the pressures at the same time in the morning before you mow and remember if one side has been sitting in the sun for a few hours the tyres will be hot and thus the tyre pressure will be higher.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro has the 3 gallon gas tank on left side, so I have set the deck, with the Left rear tire 1/2 psi higher.

dt03457

Forum Newbie
Threads
called the Toro Dealer I use and without any hesitation stated the front tire PSI is 20.