Export thread

Toro SS4260 timecutter burning grass!

F

Freedom1955

I have a 2012 Toro SS4260 ZT with the Kaw engine and if I stop for even a minute while on my lawn the heat from either the exhaust and or the transaxles will burn a spot on my lawn. I have heard of Gravely's doing this also and they have a fix but as far as I know Toro does not. I also called my dealer and he said there is no fix.
Not sure if there are any Toro reps on this board but I would like a way to prevent this burning situation.

HELP!!!:confused2:

A_tank96

A_tank96

Well, I own a Toro timecutter z4200, the 2010 model, and here is the heat shield for that, It might fit on the same mower, not sure.:rolleyes:

KIT-HEAT SHIELD

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My Honda only burns the grass when I stop on a few of the super hot days in the summer (even when I start at 7:30a.m.)

A_tank96

A_tank96

Plus, I haven't even tested if mine burns the grass. I have heard that some do, but I'm not gonna find out. :biggrin:

R

Rivets

Call a different dealer. I think that the kit mentioned will work for you, but with out your numbers can't say for sure. Ask your dealer about the kit. He can call Toro tech services if it will work on your unit. Probably doesn't want to invest the time for you and a $25 part.

B

Big Jim Lee

I have a 2012 Toro SS4260 ZT with the Kaw engine and if I stop for even a minute while on my lawn the heat from either the exhaust and or the transaxles will burn a spot on my lawn. I have heard of Gravely's doing this also and they have a fix but as far as I know Toro does not. I also called my dealer and he said there is no fix.
Not sure if there are any Toro reps on this board but I would like a way to prevent this burning situation.

HELP!!!:confused2:

B

Big Jim Lee

I have a 2020 new 4220 toro that does the same thing and it has a heat shield on it. It's parked and my old 4200 is back on the job.

Well my 2014-- 4260 w/Kaw has Never burnt any grass.. I've been mowing with it for 6 years. And No heat shield. And this time of year I mow at 4-1/2" tall ..

N

need-for-speed

Interesting, I have a 2011 model SS4260 and have never noticed it, but I rarely park it on the grass while running. I’ll have test that scenario out.

I generally don't stop while mowing either, but I do clean out in back by the compost bin, parking in same area for 6 years on mowed grass.
So if mine was gonna burn grass it would be in that location, but nothing. And at 4-1/2" tall mowed grass, that would be the most likely for it to do so.

I'm not complaining tho.

A

Affordable in Indy

I have the same issue with my zero turn Cub Cadet and it has a heat shield. I try to park on pavement or back up and put the heat shield over my river rock. It actually only kills the grass blades and not the crown, so it just grows back.

Actually the heat shield, likely made of thin steel, would seem to be a place to catch the radiating heat & become like a hot plate.
I would add some heat resistant insulation to it, & I bet the issue goes away..

Think about it..

F

Freedom1955

I sold this machine. Bought a Scag Liberty Z!

I sold this machine. Bought a Scag Liberty Z!

So which engine does your Liberty have ? Kawasaki or Kohler

F

Freedom1955

Kaw. Same as my Toro had.

Kaw. Same as my Toro had.

Good engine, it's what my 4260 has, I bought new back in 8/2014..

J

Jupi19

I just bought a 50 inch Zero Turn 2021 model. I used it only 1 time. Cut the grass at around 4.5 inches. I water my lawn regularly and the grass was healthy. After I finished the next day burn patches started coming up. I never had this issue and at the time didn't know what was causing it. After some more thinking and talking to some people, we concluded it is the lawnmower. And yes, after retracing my steps it is every place I stopped for even short amount, is where the burn was. I called the Toro dealer where I bought and he said he has heard of it, but never seen it. I asked for heat shield and he said he has not seen an aftermarket one. Otherwise I love the lawnmower but I am not happy about the damage. I'll have to mindful when I stop and where I stop. I tried attaching pictures but the files appeared too large.

Get some metal & fab a heat shield aka skid plate. My 2014 Toro never burnt the grass. Toro makes a good machine.

But to meet the latest emissions the engines have to run much learner (read hotter). Should have come with a heat shield.

My Scag did, It is referred to as a skid plate, And it is thick.

A

a022mil

I just bought a 50 inch Zero Turn 2021 model. I used it only 1 time. Cut the grass at around 4.5 inches. I water my lawn regularly and the grass was healthy. After I finished the next day burn patches started coming up. I never had this issue and at the time didn't know what was causing it. After some more thinking and talking to some people, we concluded it is the lawnmower. And yes, after retracing my steps it is every place I stopped for even short amount, is where the burn was. I called the Toro dealer where I bought and he said he has heard of it, but never seen it. I asked for heat shield and he said he has not seen an aftermarket one. Otherwise I love the lawnmower but I am not happy about the damage. I'll have to mindful when I stop and where I stop. I tried attaching pictures but the files appeared too large.

A

a022mil

Had the same thing, called toro, they did not seem to care much, my dealer then had one of his worker’s make up a shield, that help’s, but on a zero turn , everything sit’s lower, and the closer to the ground,versus a lawn tractor, does affect the grass, no way out of it, but the shield does help some, toro need’s to be better than they are, blame the zero turn mowers, dealer in lower Michigan definitely trying to help, that is why I suggest dealing with a dealer.

Agree about Dealers. box store can't do anything.