Toro SS 4225 starter p/n 1339828 repair manual

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I’ve been doing this for to many years and when it can’t be repaired I restock my “I think I should save this” cabinets and covered parts trays. (Everything is categorized and labeled, as at my age I‘ve forgotten more than I know) Not only a learning experience, but these used parts have bailed out many who come to me for a part NLA or too $$$.
Like you over the last 40 yrs I have forgotten things (most times they are stored back in the cobwebs of my mind) that are no long needed so I have refer to my records at times. As I gotten older putting things in a bin system and having shop software inventory to keep track where things are stored becomes more important every year.

I really gotten to the point that I depend on my Adminsoft Auto Manager software. Some have a mind like a steel trap but I don't. There is no way I remember where every part is stored of the over 2000 different parts on hand.

1626182485958.png

grc212

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at that inertia starter. It would not be too bad to disassemble although, the starter pinion has to come off and that retaining ring is a pain to get off. Two things could be wrong either starter pinion fiction pad is worn out or the top motor bushing is worn out. Pinion and starter repair kit for pinion replacement are available but the bushing is not. I see quite a few Kohler starters with both of these issues. Most times the pinion fiction is the reason the pinion doesn't moves up. Where the bushing usually causes a dragging motor. If you taking the main motor apart just be careful of the brush springs popping out.

I just took a Denso solenoid shift starter apart this week without a manual and it is back working again. Just take your time and pay attention to the disassembly.

Starter repair kit only contains the following items which are right above the pinion.
View attachment 57402
I took the starter apart, brushes and commutator looked good, there is no wear lines on the brushes so they were all worn the same and you were correct about the brush springs and having patience. I had to chase springs several times and found them each time. I called it a "clean living" moment. This bushing you speak of is on the drive end? I destroyed the dust cover on removal so I have a space in my "healing drawer" in my tool box for later on.

Gord Baker

Threads
First try lubricating the Bendix (spring return) drive. Grooves in shaft. . When you try to start, the gear should spin out to the end and starter rotate freely. Release the key and the bendix spring should return it to park.

grc212

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the input, new starter and upgraded battery did the trick, all is good in the Fla panhandle...