Toro SS 4225 starter p/n 1339828 repair manual

grc212

Forum Newbie
Threads
My starter on my Toro SS4225 can't turn the engine over (weak). Engine is free but putting 12V to the starter removed from engine bendix doesn't extend. I'm looking for a repair man for starter or an exploded view of disassembled starter. I see toro has superseded the starter with p/n 136-7880. I'm wanting to take apart and clean and lube the starter but don't want to destroy it in the process. TYIA

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you referring to the Kawasaki FR600 direct drive starter or it the solenoid version? The Denso solenoid shift version is a lot hard to disassembly and even the Kawasaki FR600 service doesn't cover it very well. Now the direct direct version is covered fair well in the service manual.

I just took apart the Denso solenoid shift version the hardest part was removing the retaining without it going flying across the shop but it will be the same for the direct drive too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m pretty sure that this starter is going to be for a Toro engineered engine built by Loncin. If I’m correct there are NO replacement parts available for this starter, except for the starter drive. If the starter really spins, but the bendix doesn’t kick out, you may just have to replace the drive and not tear into the starter. Because there are no other parts available, I wouldn’t advise you to take it apart. I’ve rebuilt a few of these starters, and have found a few used parts in my I should save this cabinet, but most times it is cheaper to replace than repair. My recommendation is to see if your local Toro shop would try to replace the drive, but if it failed to solve the problem you would purchase a new starter through them. Just my opinion.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And buy a starter from a real mower parts retailer not of ebay, amazon or craigs.
Just about all of them are fake and will only last a short time before failing .
Got a 44 gallon drum 1/2 full of dead Chinese "EXTRA HIGH POWER " & "HIGH POWER LONG" B & S starters.
All they did was consume a drastically large amount of power, wreaking havock with batteries & charging systems till the soft soldered communicators fell apart shorting out he starter and taking the solenoids with it .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is why we need to the actual model and serial.

1626134328654.png
74706 came with a Kawasaki FR600V
74721 came with a Kohler 7000
74722 came with a Kawasaki FR600V
74726 came with a 2P77F
74726TA came with a 2P77F

So there is no way to sure until we had the actual model and serial numbers.

grc212

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is why we need to the actual model and serial.

View attachment 57395
74706 came with a Kawasaki FR600V
74721 came with a Kohler 7000
74722 came with a Kawasaki FR600V
74726 came with a 2P77F
74726TA came with a 2P77F

So there is no way to sure until we had the actual model and serial numbers.
1626141762528.png
S/N 402271470. I have the 22.5 hp Toro(Loncin)engine. I put the starter on the bench it appears that the motor doesn't spool up fast enough to overcome the spring on the drive, compressing the spring manually the drive will engage so I will be headed to the Toro dealer for new starter. I had luck in the past taking apart B/S starters clean up and work good but not this Chinese one...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looking at that inertia starter. It would not be too bad to disassemble although, the starter pinion has to come off and that retaining ring is a pain to get off. Two things could be wrong either starter pinion fiction pad is worn out or the top motor bushing is worn out. Pinion and starter repair kit for pinion replacement are available but the bushing is not. I see quite a few Kohler starters with both of these issues. Most times the pinion fiction is the reason the pinion doesn't moves up. Where the bushing usually causes a dragging motor. If you taking the main motor apart just be careful of the brush springs popping out.

I just took a Denso solenoid shift starter apart this week without a manual and it is back working again. Just take your time and pay attention to the disassembly.

Starter repair kit only contains the following items which are right above the pinion.
1626173794682.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a suggestion, but an opportunity for a learning experience. If you are purchasing a new starter, save the old one. Tear it down when you have time and see if you can find a problem and reassemble. Most common problem I’ve found is commutator is carboned up and brushes worn. Reassembly is a bit tricky and patience is needed.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just a suggestion, but an opportunity for a learning experience. If you are purchasing a new starter, save the old one. Tear it down when you have time and see if you can find a problem and reassemble. Most common problem I’ve found is commutator is carboned up and brushes worn. Reassembly is a bit tricky and patience is needed.
This is how I self taught myself most of these repairs. Everything you learn can be applied to later repairs.

It is like me getting a whole truck load of broken 2 cycles. At first I had no idea how a two worked but I did my research and hands on training/ I got about half of them repaired and sold.

Being good at sloving jigsaw puzzles helps.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve been doing this for to many years and when it can’t be repaired I restock my “I think I should save this” cabinets and covered parts trays. (Everything is categorized and labeled, as at my age I‘ve forgotten more than I know) Not only a learning experience, but these used parts have bailed out many who come to me for a part NLA or too $$$.