Toro Self Propelled front drive not working. Any advice?

waylonJ

Threads
  • / Toro Self Propelled front drive not working. Any advice?
I have a model 20016 Toro Recycler which I got for free. It's self propelled and drives the front axle. I bought and installed a new Toro belt and while I have the drive assembly cover off, I can see the gear pulley moving fine but the wheels won't spin. I looked at the inside gearing on the wheels and they are fine.

After pulling the transmission / gear box cover I see that the point where the pulley gear and axle gear should mesh to drive the axle, it's not close to meshing.

Doublewidesix had the same issue and posted his cheap / ghetto fix but it shows the issue. He and I determined the gear box needs to be pulled to one side for the gears to mesh properly.
Here is the link to his video. Toro Cheap Fix

I have to believe this is a common problem - any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll bet that the cheap fix won’t last long. The pinion gear, which they never show you, is probably worn. Pushing the housing over just allows the worn gear to make more contact with the bevel gear. The best fix is to replace the two gears and pinion bearing.

waylonJ

Threads
Interesting thought Rivets, thanks. It does make sence as you describe it. Those lil' gears arn't cheap. About $30 for the pair.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Teacher comment, “Never time to do it right, always time to do it over”