Toro Recycler Side Discharge Issue

FarmerDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Toro 2032 from Home Depot two months ago. I use the side discharge option 100% of the time so I have had the discharge chute on the entire time I've owned the mower. I must have rubbed the discharge chute against a tree or a wall because one of the pieces of plastic broke off so the chute will no longer stay attached. I took the mower to Home Depot and they said they could send it out to be repaired but I would need to give them a $20 deposit and it could take 6-8 weeks to get it back. Since I've only owned the mower for two months I didn't expect to fork over any cash and I certainly didn't expect a 6-8 weeks to get it back.

I think I have four options. 1. Let Home Depot do their thing. 2. Find a Toro dealer in my town and see what that gets me. 3. Take the door on the side of the mower off and discharge that way or 4, find a replacement for the broken part. Suggestions? Does it hurt anything to leave the discharge door off?

MowLife

Threads
I would look into replacement parts. Running without the door can be dangerous as debris can fly right at you or others around. Don’t want to sound like a safety manual but I’ve seen some accidents and damage from people that use mowers without discharge chutes

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another reason I always say buy from a dealership. That said, this is an easy resolution. First, I hope you took the time to register your mower? Second, did you break one of the holes on the chute or one of the pegs on the discharge cover? Load the unit into your vehicle and go to the best Toro dealership in your area. You want one that you feel is going to help you out, not the closest one. If you have not registered it yet, take your purchase receipt and registration cards with you. Show them your problem and see what they have to say. I’ll bet if you go in looking for help resolving the problem you will get the replacement parts covered under warranty. If it’s just the chute they probably have it n stock. If it’s the cover, they’ll probably have to order it. Be nice and say you’ll install it yourself if they are willing to help you out. I work for a Toro dealership and in a case like this, if the customer is willing to work with me, I can normally keep them happy, even when they didn’t purchase it from me. If it works out file it in your head that this dealer is far better than any BIG BOX store and pass it on to your friends. If you didn’t register it ask the dealer to help you register it. After everything is resolved a quick verbal or better yet a thank you a week later will mean a lot to the dealer.

FarmerDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I did register the mower. The problem is one of the two plastic pegs on the part that holds the discharge cover was sheared off. The actual rubber discharge chute is fine. If I can find that part I will put it on myself, and I don't mind paying for it. I at least thought about buying local and went to a local store. They had one Toro and it was a front wheel drive model and I wanted rear wheel drive. They did have a bunch of Honda mowers but none of them had a side discharge. I probably could have let them order what I wanted but I was impatient, and now I'm paying for it. I will go look for the part today.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Part number 115-8449, about $6.00. I’m assuming you have a steel deck, as your model number should have 5 digits, not 4 as you originally posted.

FarmerDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are absolutely correct that I did botch the model number. I have just purchased part 115-8449 so I am good to go.
Thank you