Toro Recycler Pinion Wear-out Normal?

Jhimer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro 20332 Serial 314030904.

Engine starts great! The problem is the Pinion gears and rear wheels. I have replaced the pinion gears and wheels maybe 4-5 times in the lifetime of this unit. I have also recently replaced both of the hoc for the second time.
Is it normal to replace these parts so regular on a Personal Pace? Are the gears and wheels the weakest link on this unit?
Trying to decide to ditch for a different brand. After research, it seems other brands have similar drive engineering.
Again it runs great! Any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you replacing the tranny pinion gear or the wheel drive gear? By your description I’m assuming you mean wheel drive gear. The weakest link in this drive system is the bearing hoc. When they wear the drive gear gets out of alignment and chews up the plastic wheel gear. .

Jhimer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The parts I have replaced are the wheel drive gear(pinion) and the wheels as sets. The wheels have the metal gear to mesh with the drive gear. I have replaced the axle bolts as well. Do these parts usually wear out this much? Just trying to decide if this old unit is worth throwing more money into it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not as often as you are describing. There was also a service bulletin that your dealer should have about realigning the axle shaft on some steel deck models. I’ve used this bulletin on all steel deck models which fail more than once over a five year period. In your case I would either check with your dealer about that bulletin or replace the unit with a cast deck model which doesn’t have this problem. They have a better drive setup and recommend them 10 times more often than a steel deck unit.

Jhimer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have seen the bulletin and I adjusted the wheels a few years ago. I'll recheck the wheel angle to the deck again. Probably will consider purchasing a cast deck model.

You have been Great Rivets!