Toro Recycler making terrible noise only w/blade installed

tcant

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Recycler making terrible noise only w/blade installed
I have an older Toro 22" Recycler Model 20218, ser. 1034942. The motor is B&S 5hp Model124702, Type 311501, Code 91031525. I'm trying to clean up for mowing season. On starting, it makes a loud noise that sounds as though the blade is contacting the mower housing. There is no sign on the housing or the blade that it is hitting anywhere. The blade is very tight and straight. When I remove the blade the mower starts and performs normally - no noise. Could it be a compression problem that appears under load? I only ran the blade for seconds as the noise is very evident. Any help is appreciated - my daughter cannot afford a different mower.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
on mine there is a baffle at the back that can get bent and the blade will touch it. Take a second look. Also make sure the engine bolts to the deck are tight, and that the blade is balanced. Put a round shaft screwdriver thru the center hole and hold the blade at different angles, see if one side of the blade always wants to fall.

tcant

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks sgkent I'll take a look for the baffle. The engine bolts are tight engine is strong on deck.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
probably a really long shot, but thinking about it, on mine there is a woodruff key that holds the blade hub from spinning on the shaft. i have no idea what it would sound like if that key was sheared and the hub was partially spinning on the shaft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, according to the model and serial numbers you posted you have a 21” cast deck mower, with rear wheel drive. That being said there are five things which you should check. 1. Make sure the kickers, mulch baffles, are tight and in good conditions. 2. Make sure the belt cover is installed properly and tight. 3. Make sure that the blade stiffener is in good condition and tight when you tighten the blade. 4. As stated before, blade must be in good condition and not bent. On this mower the only contact the blade could make is with the kickers and belt cover. 5. It’s very possible, with this blade adapter, for the key in the adapter to be sheared, unless you hit something very hard or ran the mower with the blade loose or incorrectly installed. Couple of questions. Does the noise change when you engage the drive? Does the noise change with engine speed?

tcant

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, according to the model and serial numbers you posted you have a 21” cast deck mower, with rear wheel drive. That being said there are five things which you should check. 1. Make sure the kickers, mulch baffles, are tight and in good conditions. 2. Make sure the belt cover is installed properly and tight. 3. Make sure that the blade stiffener is in good condition and tight when you tighten the blade. 4. As stated before, blade must be in good condition and not bent. On this mower the only contact the blade could make is with the kickers and belt cover. 5. It’s very possible, with this blade adapter, for the key in the adapter to be sheared, unless you hit something very hard or ran the mower with the blade loose or incorrectly installed. Couple of questions. Does the noise change when you engage the drive? Does the noise change with engine speed?
I stand corrected on on the mower width at 21”. I will check the blade stiffener for a sheared pin. Both our daughter & her son used the mower last season SO it may have hit something hard. The blade doesn’t appear to be damaged. I haven’t run the motor more than ten (10) seconds a couple of times because it sounds as though the piston will crash through the block. I guess that if that happens - I’ll be done with it!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine runs good with no blade attached, you problem is in one of the areas I posted.

tcant

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the engine runs good with no blade attached, you problem is in one of the areas I posted.
I checked all around in the blade area and there is no sign of the blade hitting anywhere HOWEVER when I re-installed the blade and ran the mower with a very tight blade, the blade bolt loosened. I had previously put "never seeze" on the bolt. In disassembly I found that the cast spacer (#62-7540), which has a raised pin cast into it that fits unto the groove in the drive shaft was sloppy loose but not otherwise damaged. It was loose enough to perhaps cause the blade to loosen. Do you think that I should hunt for a new #62-7540 or put some red thread locker and a new split washer on the bolt. I also noticed a hairline crack in the #62-7550 shaft belt pulley which I will deal with based on your advice about the spacer and bolt. Thank you for your help on the diagnosis- you were right on!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m guessing your problem is caused by a combination of the use of never seize and a bad blade adapter. I personally never use it and never recommend it, but others on this forum call me a crazy old fart.