Toro Recycler 22 Requires a 5 min warmup

JGK

Forum Newbie
Threads
What does it do during that 5 minute warmup? Blowing any smoke? Runs slow? Slowly comes up to speed? Any surging? Just suddenly jumps to full speed? Remember we aren’t standing next to you, with a strong drink you provided, to see what you are seeing. Can you paint us a better picture of what is going on.
It starts on the first pull, then there is a subtle sense of roughness. No noticable smoke. Probably not full idle RPM. If I engage the blade on the driveway, it may or not keep running but will sputter and struggle. It definitely won’t handle the load of mowing a normal height lawn until after the warmup period. Toward the end of the warmup it becomes obvious as the engine starts to sound smoother.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
3/4 acre of grass that it has cut for 10 years.

Push mower best guess is valves need adjustment and head needs new head gasket or at least retorque.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before tearing into the carb, I would start the unit with the air cleaner off and see if the choke was fully opening. If it is this may sound stupid, but I would dump all the fuel and just run the unit on straight gas, no additives. I would also make sure I was using the correct spark plug for that engine. If you are running a cold plug it would contribute to the problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your choke is not working proper. This engine has a thermostatic choke lever on the muffler.

Clean all the muck off the top of the block. Oil and dead grass... Remove carb and check for a cracked intake manifold cross over tube. I've had one that broke at the far end and dumped a couple hard pieces of plastic off this tube into the engine behind the valves. It was the air smoothing horn deal inside the far end intake tube. Plastic pieces got between the piston and bore. Now she's a 3 pack a day smoker.

Make sure the choke and the thermostatic lever (Briggs part 593208) are working. That black plastic lever that crosses over the block needs to swing freely.

1657009824581.png