Toro Recycler 22 Requires a 5 min warmup

JGK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro Recycler 22 that is about a 2013 vintage with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It is the model with the blade brake.

It requires about a 5 min warmup before I can engage the blade without killing the engine. I replaced the carb previously with no change. At $20 on Amazon, I can’t justify spending the time fiddling with an old carb. I’ll play with it and put it in the sonic cleaner when I have some time to kill.

After the 5 min warmup it runs like new. Restarts and takes a load with no issues.

I have about 3/4 acre of grass that it has cut for 10 years. Could the piston rings be worn and cause this symptom?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you ever adjusted valves on your B&S engine with engine cold?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
maybe loose head or tight valves. Could be too lean also. Engines need more fuel when they are cold.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
any strange orbs circling overhead? Live near a known UFO site.:)

JGK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Always strange phenomenon lurking about, however I’ve never adjusted the valves.

I have had the head off so I’ll check that.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is the model with the blade brake.
Narrows it down.
I replaced the carb previously with no change. At $20 on Amazon,
More evidence to the crime. Boil clean the OEM carb.
Could the piston rings be worn and cause this symptom?
Rings worn yes, cause this no, unless she is a smoker with low compression.

My guess is a dirty OEM carb and now a Chinese Amazon Special. Probably a filthy fuel tank and cracked lines.

Valve adjustment, I would.
Clean cooling fins, a must do done yearly.
New fuel lines, shutoff valve and filter if you have room.
Dump fuel tank. Blow with compressed air. Super clean the little guy.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before doing of that, post all engine and unit numbers. That way we will know what you are talking about. Without them everything stated is just guessing.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before doing of that, post all engine and unit numbers. That way we will know what you are talking about. Without them everything stated is just guessing.
Yeah, post the numbers before doing what it most likely needs anyway.

JGK

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower is a Toro 20333
The engine is a B&S 190cc
128M02 0001-F1

Rhe carb is OEM 799866

The gas tank is clean. I always put Pri-G stabilizer and Lucas Upper Cylinder lube in ethanol free fuel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What does it do during that 5 minute warmup? Blowing any smoke? Runs slow? Slowly comes up to speed? Any surging? Just suddenly jumps to full speed? Remember we aren’t standing next to you, with a strong drink you provided, to see what you are seeing. Can you paint us a better picture of what is going on.