Toro products with starting issues

spike3333

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro 20331 22 Recycler Lawnmower and a Toro 51945 Weed Wacker. Both products worked reliably for many years until recently. Both became hard to start so I purchased new carburetors for each and installed them. They both became initially easier to start but then both would not start if they were shut off during an extended period of use unless they cooled off. I purchased a new ignition coil for the mower which made it start 1st pull but it still has the problem of not starting after shutting it off after long use. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Spike3333

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
With engine cold adjust valves.
Valve lash is on page 10 in Operators Manual posted above. Is engine clean under blower housing at cylinder cooling fins? Do not use water.
Check air filter & spark plug for replacement. Are you using Full Synthetic oil, see Operators Manual page 6 oil recommendation chart, engine will run cooler above 80 degree heat.
I would check air & fuel filters & spark plug for replacement on trimmer just above.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you using Full Synthetic oil, see Operators Manual page 6 oil recommendation chart, engine will run cooler.
I beg to differ on that statement.
Maybe if you added an oil cooler and oil pump to it.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Toro 20331 22 Recycler Lawnmower and a Toro 51945 Weed Wacker. Both products worked reliably for many years until recently. Both became hard to start so I purchased new carburetors for each and installed them. They both became initially easier to start but then both would not start if they were shut off during an extended period of use unless they cooled off. I purchased a new ignition coil for the mower which made it start 1st pull but it still has the problem of not starting after shutting it off after long use. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Spike3333
Check for carb vacuum leaks and post your engine numbers.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You said extended periods of sitting. Bet a good carb clean wouldn't hurt anything. Clean inside the carb not just the outside. Remove the jets and spray with carb cleaner USING EYE PROTECTION.

Have you ever cleaned the engine block cooling fins? And the top of the engine block? It's a yearly maintenance item in your engine manual. Neglect this and you are asking for engine damage. Get the scrub brushes out.

slomo