Toro Pivot Arm Replacement

Momzzz123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a fairly new Toro mower and the back wheels have become loose. I took it to a repair shop thinking they would fix it (it was under warranty) and they denied my request. They were nice enough to give me the list of replacement parts they would've ordered, and I ordered a couple new pivot arms. I will attach pictures of it. It's the oddly shaped metal plate (Part number 136-9090).

The problem I'm having is getting it apart from the bearing in the mower deck. I've tried many different ways of grabbing that large nut, I've tried using a pipe wrench on the outside (thinner part) of the bearing and twisting, but no luck. Is there some type of adhesive they would've used? You can see it is threaded if you look at the outside, there's maybe 1 line of thread. The rusty nut with a hole is a bearing and is the same piece as the thin tube on the outside that is shiny metal. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's literally this one thing, and there are NO YouTube videos about this specific part.0016865_arm-pivot-rear_510.jpeg

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20220105_010228.jpg
    20220105_010228.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220105_010238_HDR.jpg
    20220105_010238_HDR.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220105_010222_HDR.jpg
    20220105_010222_HDR.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The part you show is called the pivot arm and the part you are trying to remove is called the bearing hoc. There should be a retaining ring which hold the two together. The shiny part is the bearing. Section 4 of this manual should help you out. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446. I doubt that the pivot arm is the cause of you problem. More likely the bearing is bad, for which I would replace the bearing and bearing hoc. Please post the model and serial numbers for your unit and I will get you the part numbers if you need them.

Momzzz123

Forum Newbie
Threads
The part you show is called the pivot arm and the part you are trying to remove is called the bearing hoc. There should be a retaining ring which hold the two together. The shiny part is the bearing. Section 4 of this manual should help you out. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446. I doubt that the pivot arm is the cause of you problem. More likely the bearing is bad, for which I would replace the bearing and bearing hoc. Please post the model and serial numbers for your unit and I will get you the part numbers if you need them.
Hi

Thank you for the info! I didn't explain well enough though ? I have the mower with larger back wheels and the part thats loose about it is the smaller hole/s. There is a bolt with a gear that screws into that, and even with the new bolt fully tightened, its still wobbling around. Is there a way to separate the pivot arm and bearing HOC? What does the retaining ring look like? Ive removed a little black ring that was pressure fit around the end of the axle. Is that what you're talking about?

My mower model # is 2340 Mow and stow

SN 405022761

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m assuming you didn’t look at the manual I posted. Pages 4-3 to 4-7 have illustrations and steps on how to disassemble the hoc from the pivot arm. Also, your model number is 20340 and the serial number shows it is either 2015 or 2016, well out of warranty.

Momzzz123

Forum Newbie
Threads
No,

The mowers are not the same and that manual cannot be applied. It also gives little information on the process. I had the 4 year extended warranty from home depot/asurion. That activates after the 2 year from Toro (Ive been thru the whole thing with both companies and it doesn't really matter anymore cuz they denied my request). Its almost like the threads of the bearing are welded to the arm. I soaked it overnight in WD 40 and it still wont budge.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve been working for Toro dealerships since 1981 and the pictures are different, but how to remove the bearing hoc is the same. My memory is not as good as it used to be, but I think I’ve done this repair a couple of times in the last 40 years. Since you know more than I do, I’m not going to be able to help you anymore.
PS: This is also a prime example as to why extended warranties from the Big Box stores aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on and I’m also willing to bet that replacing the pivot arm is not going to fix your problem. Good Luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is a steel deck push mower. They only have a 2 year warranty.