Toro Pace Self Propelled...Oil leaking at base of motor under black plastic piece...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro Pace Self Propelled...Oil leaking at base of motor under black plastic piece...
Those engines do have problems with the dipstick tube seal leaking with age. I suggest you change it, part #37610. Very simple to do, and a $2.00 part.

awbooth

Threads
  • / Toro Pace Self Propelled...Oil leaking at base of motor under black plastic piece...
Already done, thx though. If your not handy, this is the type of machine that ends up at the front of the yard out for free trash pickup... I just went to pickup the crankshaft seal at a local equipment shop and it would have cost me approx. $600 for parts and labor to do all the repairs ive done over the past 8 years! I used to pickup other people's broken mowers with my truck, fix them, than sell them. It was interesting?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did that for years

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the crankshaft seal is bad, it would be leaking under the deck, not on top.

awbooth

Threads
So if it's not the crankshaft seal... than where is the oil coming from?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll go back to what I posted before, check that dipstick tube seal. May be twisted, upside down, loose. Is the tube tight down and not moving. As said, I also doubt it is the crankcase gasket. You are going to have to start over with cleaning, drying and dusting. If done right, it will lead you to the leak. Don't assume anything, this should not be hard to find.

awbooth

Threads
Hey guys,
I found the source of the oil leak! It's the sump case gasket. I was able to clearly see where the motor meets the sump case and the oil is leaking out there. Is there a way to seperate the motor from the top or does the blade need to be removed and the lower sump need to be removed? Not sure how to get everything apart. Thanks

redmondjp

Threads
Hey guys,
I found the source of the oil leak! It's the sump case gasket. I was able to clearly see where the motor meets the sump case and the oil is leaking out there. Is there a way to seperate the motor from the top or does the blade need to be removed and the lower sump need to be removed? Not sure how to get everything apart. Thanks

Depending upon what length of the gasket that the leak is occurring in, you may be able to seal it from the outside without actually disassembling the motor. With the leaky area thoroughly degreased and dried, apply a high-strength RTV such as Permatex Ultra Gray in a wide bead about 1/8" thick over the leaky area and let cure (assuming that you can physically get to it).

I'd also check the crankcase breather to see if it is clogged, as excess crankcase pressure could be causing the seal to blow out as well.