Toro Out Front Z model 78478 parking brake adjustment

TomCooper

Threads
I just picked up a Toro Out Front Z model 78478. It's an old one, and one of the drives was replaced on the traction unit. Now, when I take the parking brake off, the unit wants to die. Can someone point me to documentation that can help me diagnose this problem and come up with a fix?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The model number you are posting is for the deck. If you want more help you need to post the units model and serial numbers from the ID tag under the seat.

TomCooper

Threads
The model number you are posting is for the deck. If you want more help you need to post the units model and serial numbers from the ID tag under the seat.
Thank you. I'm really ignorant, just beginning my learning process!

TomCooper

Threads
Thank you for the help
One step closer. Sadly I don't see *any* identification stickers here.

Where should I be looking?
IMG_3298.jpeg

I do see this on the drive motor.
IMG_3301.jpeg

And this on the back wheel of the traction unit.
IMG_3300.jpeg

It looks like the seat safety switch had failed and the previous owner bypassed it - but his wire came loose and the seat safety switch was showing no one sitting on the seat, so it shut off. One mystery solved. But I still am concerned about the brake maybe not working on the right side.

TomCooper

Threads
Thank you. This looks really promising. And thank you for the input on the blades. #Learning

TomCooper

Threads
The parking brake exploded diagram should be super helpful. Toro corporate has not been much help, and I've been on hold with a distributor for about 40 minutes hoping they could help. They specialize in golf equipment, but apparently getting actual assistance is not top of list for them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you have a lot of spare time and have worked on Toros, it is very difficult to find answers for you without model and serial numbers. There shouldn’t be an ID tag on the mower, as they were riveted to the frame. See my other reply. Also, please don’t start a new thread when you have a different question. This will get very, very, very confusing to everyone, especially when you don’t have numbers.

TomCooper

Threads
I'm sorry. I'm obviously new to the forum and I was trying to *not* complicate things by keeping separate questions separate.

I am surprised that I do not see the ID tag. The one on the mow deck is riveted, and you suggest, and I'm stumped that there doesn't seem to be one elsewhere on the traction unit. The mower is pretty dirty and I'm working to clean it as I examine it. Perhaps it's buried under years of filth?

What the one distributor told me is that when this unit was made, they often sold the mow deck and traction unit separately as options. This is the tag that is on the mow deck. I'll keep searching for a riveted tag on the traction unit. I do really appreciate your help.IMG_3277.jpeg