Export thread

toro mx5060 want start

B

billymcginnis58

i have put a new key switch and a solenoid the stater want turn over i can jump the solenoid and the stater turns over good. when you turn the key all the stater will do is make a nose and doesn't turn over

M

mechanic mark

Remove battery & take to auto parts store & ask them to please load test your battery, should cost you nothing. If you need to purchase new battery make sure new battery has same CCA'S as old battery or what your manual calls for.

B

billymcginnis58

Remove battery & take to auto parts store & ask them to please load test your battery, should cost you nothing. If you need to purchase new battery make sure new battery has same CCA'S as old battery or what your manual calls for.
thanks but the battery is new(two weeks) and i ran the unit two times before this happened. When i jump across the solenoid the starter turns over good but it want start

R

Rivets

When you jump start the unit, do you have the key in the run position? If so go through this procedure and report back.

Electrical* problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.
1. * How well you understand basic electricity.
2. *What tools you have and know how to use.
3. *How well you follow directions.
4. *You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. *You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. *You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. *The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. *If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. *These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. *Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and *voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good.*

Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. *One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.*

Third, *check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. *If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.*

Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position q(you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch).*

Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again).*

Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. *At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. *Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. *If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. *Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.

B

billymcginnis58

had power to one large terminal/ checked the second large terminal with key in start position and clutch/brake pushed in had no power checked the two small terminals with the clutch/brake pushed in had power on both terminals. one note when touched one of the small terminals with the test light it cause the stater to turn/ their is no power to the starter when the key is in start position

B

billymcginnis58

had power to one large terminal/ checked the second large terminal with key in start position and clutch/brake pushed in had no power checked the two small terminals with the clutch/brake pushed in had power on both terminals. one note when touched one of the small terminals with the test light it cause the stater to turn/ their is no power to the starter when the key is in start position
also checked all ground connection and they look good

R

Rivets

If you turn the key to the start position and have 12VDC on both small terminals, but no voltage to the other large terminal, the most likely problem is a bad solenoid.

R

randyjoe

i have put a new key switch and a solenoid the stater want turn over i can jump the solenoid and the stater turns over good. when you turn the key all the stater will do is make a nose and doesn't turn over
Be sure you have the right key switch, there are different configurations on the poles even if they look alike, the poles are marked with letters as to where they go, match the old to the new one

B

billymcginnis58

i changed out the Solenoid has the same problem also matched up the old switch they are the same. You talked about a safety switch problem what switch or swithes

R

randyjoe

i changed out the Solenoid has the same problem also matched up the old switch they are the same. You talked about a safety switch problem what switch or swithes
I would check all, blade, seat, clutch/brake ect, and you already checked the fuse right

B

bertsmobile1

As Rivets was saying
The two trigger wires at the base of the solenoid should be a power & a ground wire.
If not the solenoid can not close to energise the starter motor.
One or both of trigger wires can be switched depending upon which particular Mx5060 you have.
The other big question is does yours have the electric brake module ?
These are prone to failure & a failed brake module will prevent the starter turning
So pull the trigger wires off the solenoid and jump the terminals, one to battery & the other to ground
Starter spins = faulty wiring
measure the voltage / continuity on both of the trigger wires, disconnected from the solenoid
with the key in the start position one should show volts & the other ground
 111.jpg
From the diagram above note than the - ( ground ) connection for the solenoid trigger wire is done via the Brake Actuator ( terminal 6 ) and for that to happen the actuator must get voltage on terminals 2,4,8,1, 7 & 11 which only happens when the respective switches are closed

B

billymcginnis58

As Rivets was saying
The two trigger wires at the base of the solenoid should be a power & a ground wire.
If not the solenoid can not close to energise the starter motor.
One or both of trigger wires can be switched depending upon which particular Mx5060 you have.
The other big question is does yours have the electric brake module ?
These are prone to failure & a failed brake module will prevent the starter turning
So pull the trigger wires off the solenoid and jump the terminals, one to battery & the other to ground
Starter spins = faulty wiring
measure the voltage / continuity on both of the trigger wires, disconnected from the solenoid
with the key in the start position one should show volts & the other ground
View attachment 56720
From the diagram above note than the - ( ground ) connection for the solenoid trigger wire is done via the Brake Actuator ( terminal 6 ) and for that to happen the actuator must get voltage on terminals 2,4,8,1, 7 & 11 which only happens when the respective switches are closed
i

B

billymcginnis58

B

billymcginnis58

when used test light and checked the small terminals the starter did turn over. also if i keep turning the key on off try to start the unit it will staft and run briefly also when it does that it seems to be in gear and tries to move

R

Rick42wood

Sounds like one of the stupid interlock switches is not making properly or has bad contacts. I had a similar issue with a zero turn Toro. Turned out the switch under the seat was bad.