Toro LX425 a Troy-Bilt Super Bronco in wolf's clothing?

jaguar513

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro LX425 a Troy-Bilt Super Bronco in wolf's clothing?
I have a 2007 42" Toro LX 425 that has a date of manufacture of 3/2007. My neighbor has a 2007 42" Troy-Bilt Super Bronco with the same manufacture date. The model number for both and serial numbers are very similar. Belts are the same. Other than body work and engine size (Toro has 20 HP Kohler: Troy-Bilt 16.5 HP Kohler), they could be twins. Even the owner's Manuals look the same. What gives? I thought that Toro was superior to Troy-Bilt, but now have my doubts. Are these the same unit merely wearing different badges, a practice used in the auto industry?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

I moved your thread to the Toro/Wheelhorse forum. :smile:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 2007 42" Toro LX 425 that has a date of manufacture of 3/2007. My neighbor has a 2007 42" Troy-Bilt Super Bronco with the same manufacture date. The model number for both and serial numbers are very similar. Belts are the same. Other than body work and engine size (Toro has 20 HP Kohler: Troy-Bilt 16.5 HP Kohler), they could be twins. Even the owner's Manuals look the same. What gives? I thought that Toro was superior to Troy-Bilt, but now have my doubts. Are these the same unit merely wearing different badges, a practice used in the auto industry?

Yes, very common practice. MTD and Toro have been playing that a lot. I go to the Expo every year to try to keep up with the
silliness, but it is hard to do.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I think it's most likely the other way around(Toro manufactures the Super Bronco for Troy-Bilt). Troy-Bilt farms out most of their equipment to other manufacturers(their tillers may be the only lawn/garden equipment that they actually build).

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Troybilt/Bolens/Gardenway was absorbed by MTD almost 20 years ago. I think Murray got their chipper/shredders.

possum

Threads
Fish is right. The Troybilt riding mowers are all MTD. What branch or style seems to vary. Some models seem to be available only to dealers and some others only available in some other country. The Toro lawn tractors from recent years all look to be from MTD. Many of the Craftsman lawn tractors lately are MTD. A lot of the Murray stuff in Walmart this year is MTD. The Remington stuff available in this areas hardware stores instead of Poulan or Weedeater like in past years is MTD.