Toro enhanced Recycler's new Vortex Technology feature

slinger2

Threads
  • / Toro enhanced Recycler's new Vortex Technology feature
From Toro news room:

"Toro has been long recognized as the innovator in helping customers care for their property," notes Aran Brosnan, senior marketing manager at Toro. "Part of that innovation includes new features, such as the Vortex Technology™ on the enhanced Recycler mowers, which increases airflow to supercharge grass cutting."
Toro's patented Vortex Technology is powered by an intake system that fuels the cutting chamber with additional airflow. The air infusion whirls grass clippings around the cutting chamber at a faster rate, either shredding them into ultra-fine clippings or shooting them into the newly-designed Super Bagger with increased velocity. The improved aerodynamics create grass clippings that act as Lawn Vitamins™ nourishing a healthier lawn.
For those times of the year when lawn maintenance requires additional cleanup, users can throw on Toro's new Super Bagger. Combining Vortex Technology with enhanced bag-fill capabilities, the mower is transformed into a lawn vacuum, leaving the yard looking pristine after the seasonal cleanup. Additionally, the new, tapered bag design promotes easier, cleaner bag emptying."

The feature amounts to what looks like a perforated vent located on the top of the deck in front of the engine. I was starting to think that this might be a viable feature until they started talking about "lawn vitamins", which is where they lost me as I began to notice that this is aimed at folks who don't already know that mulching can provide nutrition to the lawn.

What do you think? Does this sound like something that will enhance the cut quality of a mower?1608663758963.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably but it is still a single bar blade and a single blade fan does not flow air particularly well .
Yet to find a bar blade push mower that has the cut quality of the local swing back blades with a large mounting plate .

Born2Mow

Threads
What do you think? Does this sound like something that will enhance the cut quality of a mower?
I think it only enhances the mulching quality of the mower by inducting air around the engine shaft. I note that the engine on my Honda powered Troy-Bilt sits about 4mm off the frame, also allowing air to enter in the same place.

slinger2

Threads
I was wondering if you were mulching, what keeps debris from being blown up through the vent, since you don't have the large exit area as during side discharge or bagging?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The shape of the mower base.
Down here the CSIRO & UTS researched the air flow under a mower deck to a level that most mower companies could never afford .
The first result of this was the Vortex mower which was so quiet you can not hear it running 50 feet away.
The next change was mounting the fly wheel under the engine to get better control of the air flow
powertorque.JPG
The final result was the 4 blade mulching deck
4 blade plate small.jpg

IT is all about controlling the air flow
The vent in the front sucks

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
There comes a point to when sucking the grass clippings up towards the frame, becomes too much. If you're cutting crass that's say 2" above what this vortex was designed for, would cause it to not be as efficient as advertised. Which would totally change everything it was designed to do.

Me myself, I think it's just a sales gimmick, like the wash out attachment.

NOTE: I could be completely wrong about this. As Toro does make a good mower.