Toro 721QZE Belt Replacement

bojo3919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know if you accept snow blower questions but here goes...

I have a Toro Power Clear 721QZE snow blower. I replaced the paddles and am now attempting to replace the belt. After removing the (large) pulley bolt and washer, I've tried (several times) to pry the pulley from behind but it will not release. It's in clean condition with no rust anywhere but I can't get it to budge? I've call the local Toro shop and they say they don't remove the pulley, but rather force the belt off through the gap between the pulley and the housing. On my unit the gap is about 1/16" with the belt being about 1/8" thick. I tried their method but had no success. I would appreciate any suggestions. My photos file sizes were too large to upload so I've included a link to google photos but not sure that it will work. Being a newbie I would also appreciate any info on successfully attaching photos. On my one previous post I had no issues attaching photos but this time they are not accepted.

Thanks, BOJO3919

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally the paddle pulley slides right off. First I’m assuming that you are making sure that the brake arm is not resting on the pulley and the belt is off the drive pulley. To keep the brake arm off the pulley, tie the bail handle back against the handle. On a pulley that does not slide off try this. Put the bolt back on the shaft, WITHOUT the washer, tighten finger tight only. Insert a large screwdriver between the pulley and housing. If you can find an assistant, use two screwdrivers 180 degrees apart. Applying light pressure one the screwdriver hit the head of the bolt squarely with your hammer. The pulley should pop free.

bojo3919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets: Thank you for your input! Yes, I did have the belt off the engine pulley and the brake arm out of the way. Also, I did try installing the bolt and tapping while prying at the same time. Unfortunately, due to the close proximity of the housing, I can only get one pry tool behind the pulley. This attempt was also unsuccessful. Due to the narrow clearance behind the pulley I was not able to reach in far enough to be prying on the metal insert, but rather on the plastic body of the pulley itself. After a few attempts I noticed small flakes of white plastic so I abandoned that effort. We are in snow season here in WI so I decided to go with the existing belt which appears in good shape. The main reason I attempted to swap was because a new belt was included in the paddle kit. I'll probably give it another try in the spring. Thanks again for your input!