Toro 48V String trimmer model 51488-battery problem

bluegirl

Threads
I purchased this trimmer in May 2014 and absolutely loved it. Run time was great for my 1/2 acre, it was light enough for me, and did a great job. Now on my 4th season, no power. How do you find out if it is the battery or the charger? When the battery goes on the charger I get the normal charging mode for about 20 seconds and then the defective battery code. The battery tests at 20.1 volts so not too low for it to be recognized. If 4 years is all one gets from a cordless trimmer, I'm out! Sad because it was so nice! Can't do electric on this size yard. Not a fan of gas/oil mix at all. Any light, gas only powered trimmers out there?
TIAe15c39e3-2de5-4ffa-9b1e-e14a6368d27f_1000.jpg

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased this trimmer in May 2014 and absolutely loved it. Run time was great for my 1/2 acre, it was light enough for me, and did a great job. Now on my 4th season, no power. How do you find out if it is the battery or the charger? When the battery goes on the charger I get the normal charging mode for about 20 seconds and then the defective battery code. The battery tests at 20.1 volts so not too low for it to be recognized. If 4 years is all one gets from a cordless trimmer, I'm out! Sad because it was so nice! Can't do electric on this size yard. Not a fan of gas/oil mix at all. Any light, gas only powered trimmers out there?
TIAView attachment 40576

If it is a NiCad battery..I would say it is bad.
The charger says it's bad.

How many cordless drills have I gone thru with those batteries....

bluegirl

Threads
It has a Lithium Ion battery.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has a Lithium Ion battery.

Well, I don't have a long history with failed Li bats...but the charger says bad.
But, they do have a controller(for not knowing a better word) in them that could have resistors and such that can fail.

was the battery warm/hot? that can trigger a bad code.