Toro 460 LX will only go in Reverse

Pdennis00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick question. My 2005 Toro 460 LX will only move in reverse. When trying to go forward, there is a slipping/ grinding noise in gear box. Not sure what exact cause is. I have opened gear box and confirmed no internal damage. Not sure if the brake disc (pad adjustment)is the issue, the drive belt is going, or clutch collar is worn out.Any info would be appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try pulling out rod at backside of tractor, key off & engine not running, & rolling forward or pushing forward, still noisy?

If you have a drain plug on your 918-04034 transaxle I would drain fluid in clean container & see if metal is in fluid.

Last edited:

Pdennis00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try pulling out rod at backside of tractor, key off & engine not running, & rolling forward or pushing forward, still noisy?

Will try...The noise is occurring when the pedal is being depressed for forward motion. The sound is...the main gear is not coupling or properly engaging with the Gear bevel....slipping.
I noticed it initial when going down hill then turning....hard right turn. The slipping started and got worse.

Pdennis00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick question. My 2005 Toro 460 LX will only move in reverse. When trying to go forward, there is a slipping/ grinding noise in gear box. Not sure what exact cause is. I have opened gear box and confirmed no internal damage. Not sure if the brake disc (pad adjustment)is the issue, the drive belt is going, or clutch collar is worn out.Any info would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Changed Drive Belt. Also, cleaned and changed brake pad. It could have been a loose belt or the original brake pad was worn and actually binding on the brake disc causing it too hesitate...slip. Either way, runs solid with no problems. Hopefully this can help others who have similar problems. It was an easy fix.