Toro 22" Recycler Self propelled free moving?

Smokeeater

Threads
Have in front of me a Toro 22" rcycler self propelled rear drive mower. Guy says it had free movement forward and reverse when not running, and when you started it and engaged it it would drive rear wheels. By the way no model sticker on it sorry
I replaced the drive belt and then it wouldn't free move in reverse, so he asked me to look at it again. then I flipped the drive teeth and it free moves in reverse but not forward.
1. Does this have free movement both ways without running?
2. What could I have done in putting belt on to cause this

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have in front of me a Toro 22" rcycler self propelled rear drive mower. Guy says it had free movement forward and reverse when not running, and when you started it and engaged it it would drive rear wheels. By the way no model sticker on it sorry
I replaced the drive belt and then it wouldn't free move in reverse, so he asked me to look at it again. then I flipped the drive teeth and it free moves in reverse but not forward.
1. Does this have free movement both ways without running?
2. What could I have done in putting belt on to cause this
Dad has a 20332 I think it is. Doesn't back up either. Other than replacing the transmission, I have no clue. Some have those half moon keys and a spring on the axle ends. Need to see if this one has those. Don't think it does. I installed a new OEM Toro belt and adjusted the cable. Still won't back up.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No keys in that unit. Cable is probably too tight, not allowing the tranny to disengage.

gotomow

Threads
No keys in that unit. Cable is probably too tight, not allowing the tranny to disengage.
Adjustment of a very slight amount can lead to a improvement in being able to reverse. Be patient and make small changes to the cable.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Adjustment of a very slight amount can lead to a improvement in being able to reverse. Be patient and make small changes to the cable.
I'll try this out. Good tip. Maybe I went overboard on the cable snugging up.

slomo

Smokeeater

Threads
This one does have the half moon keys with a spring.
I did put the belt on and it seems very tight

Smokeeater

Threads
After reading all this here's what happened before...

Because there is no model sticker on this I tried to find the closest one. When I got the belt in, it seemed to be really tight. Tighter than I would expect even with cable removes from handle. The transmission housing is tilted very far forward too
I wonder like someone said before is the belt too small and thus too tight and not allowing itself to roll backwards freely. Not sure how things work inside the tranny but is that possible?

Smokeeater

Threads
OMG I think I figured out the model number going by what I've seen now on it

I believe its a 20041

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belt for model 20041 is 91-2258.