Toro 22 inch residential personal pace

Rickcin

Threads
I bought the mower in 2002 and it runs fine. The pull rope broke so I removed the engine cover and recoil/starter assembly.I do not see a way to open it up in order to reattach the rope.

Is there a way I could open this or should I bring the assembly to a dealer?

Thanks - Rick

Lawnranger

Threads
If you post the engine model, type and code numbers it would help us help you. You can also search youtube for some videos on how to replace the pull rope and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Rickcin

Threads
If you post the engine model, type and code numbers it would help us help you. You can also search youtube for some videos on how to replace the pull rope and a picture is worth a thousand words.
I could not find the appropriate You Tube video but I did come up with some engine #'s

Techumun Model # LEV 120 spec 361541B
21038-20077

How do you remove the pulley from the housing? I think that needs to be done to re-install the pull cord.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the spring is not broken, all you need to do is remove the old rope, wind the spring tight, thread in the new rope and allow the spring to wind it up.

Lawnranger

Threads
If the spring is not broken, all you need to do is remove the old rope, wind the spring tight, thread in the new rope and allow the spring to wind it up.

What he said.

I replace starter ropes for customers on a regular basis but if the spring is broken or there is a problem with the starter pawls, I replace the whole starter cover because if one part failed the probability of another part in the starter failing goes up. The assembly usually isn't too expensive. Most of the time you don't have to remove the pulley to wind a new rope on.

Rickcin

Threads
What he said.

I replace starter ropes for customers on a regular basis but if the spring is broken or there is a problem with the starter pawls, I replace the whole starter cover because if one part failed the probability of another part in the starter failing goes up. The assembly usually isn't too expensive. Most of the time you don't have to remove the pulley to wind a new rope on.

Okay, I took a closer look at the pulley and it has a dole thru it so I guess I thread the rope through the housing and through the pulley and just tie a knot ?

Do I need to first wind the pulley 3 or 4 times?

Lawnranger

Threads
Okay, I took a closer look at the pulley and it has a dole thru it so I guess I thread the rope through the housing and through the pulley and just tie a knot ?

Do I need to first wind the pulley 3 or 4 times?

I was trying to figure out what a "dole" was until it came to me.:laughing::laughing::laughing: Just pickin'.

You remove all the old rope, wind the pulley in the correct direction until it stops and unwind it one full turn, thread the rope through the dole, er. . . I mean hole in the starter cover, thread the rope through the hole in the pulley and tie a knot in the end and let the spring wind the new rope back on the pulley. You should have already put the pull handle on the other end of the rope and tied a knot to secure it in the handle. Using a cigarette lighter to melt the end of the rope will prevent it from fraying and make it a whole lot easier to thread it through the holes but do a dry run before winding the spring so you know the rope will fit through the holes before you get your hands all tied up trying to hold a pulley under spring tension.

Good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always wind the spring until it is tight and then back it off until the hole in the pulley lines up with the hole in the starter housing.