Toro 20622 21" S.P with Suzuki engine & BBC- need transmisson (gear) assembly

depalma

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 20622 21" S.P with Suzuki engine & BBC- need transmisson (gear) assembly
Toro 20622 21" S.P with Suzuki engine & BBC- need transmisson (gear) assembly

I own an older model 21' Toro 20622 ( serial # 6036609)with the Suzuki engine and with BBC;
no issues with the engine , no oil leaks or power loss ( I use syndetic oil, change regularly)_
Transmission has an issue and have not yet located a source for a replacement transmission -
gear case assembly part #46-3581
Any suggestions for a source this part? either new or used?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro 20622 21" S.P with Suzuki engine & BBC- need transmisson (gear) assembly
Re: Toro 20622 21" S.P with Suzuki engine & BBC- need transmisson (gear) assembly

As this part number and it's superseded part have both been discontinued, this will be a tough find. You can rebuild the tanny, as most parts are still available.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I own an older model 21' Toro 20622 ( serial # 6036609)with the Suzuki engine and with BBC;
no issues with the engine , no oil leaks or power loss ( I use syndetic oil, change regularly)_
Transmission has an issue and have not yet located a source for a replacement transmission -
gear case assembly part #46-3581
Any suggestions for a source this part? either new or used?

Have you tryed to get a new different tranny? I ask because the proline 3 speed transmission is easy to find but the installation could be difficult.

depalma

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Toro 20622 21" S.P with Suzuki engine & BBC- need transmisson (gear) assembly

Have you tryed to get a new different tranny? I ask because the proline 3 speed transmission is easy to find but the installation could be difficult.

I have not tried to find a different / replacement tranny, in part because I don't have the knowledge as to the possible alternative transmissions that might fit and/or interconnect
Perhaps somweone on this forum has had a success with a replacement tranny for this older toto 21 walk behind mower and can recommend a part number
Thanks in advance

podor

Threads

There are two generations of transmissions for that deck. The older one like yours has a aluminum case that splits in the center. The second generation has a steel pan on the bottom. The second generation has detents in the transmission instead of at the gear selector. It also had better clutches at the wheels for the ability to pull backwards easier. Both will fit your deck, but you will need height adjusters and clutches is you are going to upgrade to gen 2. Both are tough as nails. What is wrong with the one you have?

depalma

Forum Newbie
Threads

There are two generations of transmissions for that deck. The older one like yours has a aluminum case that splits in the center. The second generation has a steel pan on the bottom. The second generation has detents in the transmission instead of at the gear selector. It also had better clutches at the wheels for the ability to pull backwards easier. Both will fit your deck, but you will need height adjusters and clutches is you are going to upgrade to gen 2. Both are tough as nails. What is wrong with the one you have?

Thanks for the info on the two different transmissions types that would fit in my older Toro .
To answer your question as to the transmission fault : The main input bearing went bad. I was able to order and install a new bearing, with no problems. However upon re-assembly the transmission shift linkage is mostly not working. It is stuck in one gear. Also the wheels lock if you try to pull backwards. I have taken the transmission apart again but was not able to find the cause of the inoperable shift linkage. It appears to shift OK when the top cover is off but not when it is re-assembled. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

podor

Threads
If it shifts ok without being assembled, its possible that the shift fork isn't sitting properly, causing it to bind once it is tightened. I think the fork sits in a plastic bushing in the case on the opposite side from the shift lever. Sometimes they can be tricky to line up.