Toro 20340 Recycler: Lubrication for wheel axles, Yes, or no, and if yes, what do you use/recommend?

POM

Threads
  • / Toro 20340 Recycler: Lubrication for wheel axles, Yes, or no, and if yes, what do you use/recommend?
The rear drive wheels on my Toro 20340 are plastic with metal sleeve inserts. They ride on shoulder bolts as axles.

Should the wheel/axle interface be lubricated and, if so, what is recommended?

Background:

I had some squeaking from the left rear wheel when moving the mower with the front wheels up. Removed the wheel and cover, and found the pinion gear to be half way off the transmission drive axle. A "C" clip retainer that should have been at the end of the axle to prevent the gear from moving out beyond the end of the drive axle was missing and the gear was rubbing on the inside of the cover. It had also become seized on the axle.

I managed to remove the pinion gear after soaking with penetrating oil, and have cleaned the mating surfaces. I'm planning to coat them with anti-seize and install new retainer clips (on both sides of the mower).

The wheel axles (the shoulder bolts -- not the same as the drive axles for the pinion gear) and sleeves in the wheels were dirty, with a bit of corrosion on the surfaces. These too have been cleaned up, but it didn't look as if they were ever lubricated (unless what was there had dried up); the machine is in its 4th year of use and I've had it from new.

I'll be servicing the wheels/axles regularly from now on. The shoulder bolts are relatively inexpensive, but the wheels are not; almost $100 Cdn each up here!

1634663787630.png

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro 20340 Recycler: Lubrication for wheel axles, Yes, or no, and if yes, what do you use/recommend?
Dry lithium spray grease
Dry pushbike chain / cable lube
Most go on wet then evaporate
Probably illegal in Cal

Woody71

Threads
Before each season, I put a quick shot of garage door lube on each side of each pinion gear. I remove the wheels and clean/lube the shoulder bolts with synthetic automotive grease.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before each season, I put a quick shot of garage door lube on each side of each pinion gear. I remove the wheels and clean/lube the shoulder bolts with synthetic automotive grease.
Not a recommended procedure but hey, it's your mower.

POM

Threads
Thanks for the replies, and suggestions.

Going with the dry graphite powder; I remember those small tubes from years ago, but haven't used them for a long time. They are available locally.