Toro 20334 Personal Pace Mower - Strange Noise When Engaging/Disengaging Drive

cruise42

Threads
  • / Toro 20334 Personal Pace Mower - Strange Noise When Engaging/Disengaging Drive
My Toro Model 20334, s/n 316027993 mower is going on it's 3rd season since buying new.

Recently a strange noise has developed when engaging/disengaging drive when mowing. Self propel is operation and mower can be pulled backwards when drive is disengaged.

Noise is intermittent...sometimes it's there the next time it's not when engaging forward motion. Sounds "metallic" in nature. Removed all 4 wheels at start of season to clean out lawn debris, installed new TORO OEM blade (torqued to 60 ft-lbs), changed oil, and replaced sparkplug. Everything went back together as designed including keys on rear axle. Drive belt in good shape, underside of deck is clean.

Any ideas of what I should be looking at next to resolve noise problem ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro 20334 Personal Pace Mower - Strange Noise When Engaging/Disengaging Drive
You have a 2016 unit and I suspect your problem is the drive gears ans or rear wheels. Remove the wheel and take a look at the drive gear and wheel gear. I think you will find they are worn. If you don’t think they are worn please include a picture or two so we can see them. Don’t order any parts until you post back, as the bearing hocs may also be worn.

Kraut69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to jump in on this discussion as i’m Having a similar issue with my 2011 model. Mower ran great for about 7-8 years with no major problems and all of a sudden I start getting grinding noises like cruise42. Replaced plastic gears once and everything was good for awhile,but grinding returned and slowly destroyed the plastic gears. I had seen on YouTube were you could replace the plastic gears with metal ones and I did this upgrade to the tune of about $60 U.S. All good once again,but lately been clicking and today got a grinding sound at one point,usually happens when the bag has some clippings in it thus extra weight. I’m starting to suspect that maybe the transmission gears are getting worn and causing it to slip under load. Can these transmissions be rebuilt or is it easier just to replace them ?

deminin

Threads
I had the same issues with my Toro 20066 that I bought way back in about 2008, This April the gears started grinding and the "personal pace" started jumping in and out. The Transmission was Shot. I found a new transmission on EBAY for $43, and bought a new belt at the same time for $12. I replaced both....a bit of a PITA job, but now the mower works like new. When I took the old transmission out, the bearing under the drive belt pulley was toast....had a major wobble.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kraut, major mistake, never hyjack a thread. This will be very confusing and then you and the member who started the thread will both be out of luck. If you can delete your post and start a new thread. I’ll be glad to help you then, but am not going to post to different unit in the same thread. Sorry.

cruise42

Threads
Rivets...Thanks for your insight.

It was way too hot today to pull wrenches in the garage today but I did attempt to isolate sound by pulling and pushing on mower.

Sound is definitely coming from lefthand wheel assembly...sound like centerlines that shaft mounted pinion and gear mounted to backside of wheel are not running parallel with respect to each other. I plan to pull wheel assembly tomorrow for closeup look and take some photos. Rear wheel assemblies do not appear to be "toed -in".

cruise42

Threads
ok...finally snapped a few pics showing LH pinion & wheel gear. Considering design of propel system and fact gears run without lubrication I don't think teeth look all that bad after 3 seasons of taking a pounding. Definitely visible wear at pitching. Shaft bearing/bushing intact...not wallowed out.

cruise42

Threads
Photos of pinion & gear

Attachments

• 20200726_151342.jpg
    20200726_151342.jpg
    854.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200726_152009.jpg
    20200726_152009.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 15

deminin

Threads
ok...finally snapped a few pics showing LH pinion & wheel gear. Considering design of propel system and fact gears run without lubrication I don't think teeth look all that bad after 3 seasons of taking a pounding. Definitely visible wear at pitching. Shaft bearing/bushing intact...not wallowed out.

These gears look as good, or better than mine, and I'm not having any troubles...SINCE, I replaced the worn out transmission. If in doubt, you can usually pick up a kit to replace the shaft gears, springs, and keys for about $20.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That drive gear is worn and I would replace it. When you checked the bushing did you try moving the shaft in all directions, on both sides. You don’t want to lube those gears as lube would attract dirt causing them to wear faster.