Toro 20332 Recycler - rear drive issue

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The recycler and super recycler are made now, to a price point. 20 years ago they were made to last. Get a commercial if you want a good Toro pusher. Course they don't have the personal pace and have a ton of levers to hold onto. I dislike holding onto levers while mowing.

The SR mulches great. Love the aluminum deck too. Love the personal pace drive system. Not as robust and reliable as the Snapper driven disk but what else is? LOL

Would love to have a Toro Super Recycler with the Kawasaki FJ180V engine and the Snapper drive system. That would be a mulching machine.

slomo

deminin

Threads
I had similar troubles with my Toro 20332 last year...grinding noises, etc. The wheels and gears all seemed ok, but when I checked the transmission, it was shot...the main bearing was bad, and the pinion gear was worn. I wound up replacing the entire transmission and it has worked great since.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had similar troubles with my Toro 20332 last year...grinding noises, etc. The wheels and gears all seemed ok, but when I checked the transmission, it was shot...the main bearing was bad, and the pinion gear was worn. I wound up replacing the entire transmission and it has worked great since.
I figured the trans was bad in mine too. Only like 65 bucks now. I need to pull the head on mine. Has no compression. Might be a loose valve seat possibly.

Think the issue with these transmissions is the use of heavy #2 wheel bearing grease. It dries up to a mud consistency. Youtube has a guy that opens several up. Looked like grease failure to me. I would of preferred a lighter grease like Snapper's 00 grade grease. It's a pudding like consistency that flows well, thick enough to not leak out.

slomo