Toro 20332 Recycler - rear drive issue

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Took the rear wheels off. Rear pinion gears look ok. This model the pinion gears just slide onto the rear drive shaft. Little C clip secures the gear on. This is not the ratcheting pinion gears as on other models.

Issue is it's hard to pull backwards and makes a lot of grinding/complaining noises while pushing forward, all this engine OFF.

With rear wheels removed, both pinion gears turn freely both directions with no binding. You can turn one side one way and the other side the other way to both the same direction, no issues.

My guess is the pinion gears are done. Maybe the wheels too. Guessing the mesh is off due to wear??

Pulls okay with engine on. Something is not right. Tried PP cable adjustments. Mower was made in 2012. What do you guys think?
31.jpg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you need to write down serial # from mower & see troubleshooting section in manual. See Service Manual. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
See serial # starting with 31500000001 click then service manual, section 2 .

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
serial 313019137

She's 9 years old. Dad would push it around not knowing how to adjust the PP drive cable. Recently put a new OEM belt on and adjusted the cable. Dad said it now pulls him around the yard LOL.

I got the general use manual.

It's like the wheels don't want to turn and skid around in the garage engine off.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nine years old, I’m betting the bearing hocs are worn, allowing the axle to twist out of alignment. This will lock up the wheels.

upupandaway

Threads
My guess is the pinion gears are done. Maybe the wheels too. Guessing the mesh is off due to wear??
Maybe. I would check if there is play in the pinion shaft or the wheel itself. Some play and it can easily skip a tooth or not mesh properly thus making noises.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nine years old, I’m betting the bearing hocs are worn, allowing the axle to twist out of alignment. This will lock up the wheels.
I can spin each pinion gear any direction with the wheels off. Both are nice and free spinning. Put the wheels on I get complaining and skidding around engine off. Guess is wheels or pinions are worn/not meshing proper.

Just found the engine has no compression. Need to pull the head looking for a loose valve seat or broke rod.

Check this out. Engine had one spot in the fuel line that didn't have a clamp. Little fuel would dribble out and get blown all under the engine shroud. Fuel collected dirt. Tons of dirt on top and sides of the engine. Always preach clean your cooling fins on here. Guessing an exhaust valve seat has jumped out of the block holding the ex valve open. Simple over heat strikes again.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I remove a C-clip at the pinion gear, the axle will move in and out a lot.

slomo

Beamster

Threads
About the only thing I hate in life is my Toro superrecycler. I knew I shouldn't have bought it and have kicked myself in the butt every time I use it.
As you found out, the drive system is an archaic PIA. Mine loves to eat and bind up drive belts.
I wish I never let the :LawnBoy and John Deere mowers go, but who know that is was not better days to come in technological development.