Walk behind TORO 20073: how to adjust transmission cable release (i think) so mower will start

ronpanzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / TORO 20073: how to adjust transmission cable release (i think) so mower will start
Hi,

I have a TORO 20073 walk-behind 22" lawnmower. The pull start is real hard, meaning I'm moving more than just the engine (it feels like that) when I pull the cord. I noticed that the cable running down the handle bars toward the engine (on the right side) (looking down at the engine) seems looser than normal. I think it's the "cable brake" or "traction control cable" (same thing??) I placed a dowel in the space to take up slack and the engine starts easily. How do I adjust that cable? Is this the same adjustment on both sides (both cables)? Or are the two separate cables doing two different things? The handle clutch release works: when pulled back the wheels don't spin, when pushed forward the wheels are moving and driving the lawnmower forward/assisting in mower movement across the lawn.

I couldn't find anything online about two separate cables. Any thoughts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / TORO 20073: how to adjust transmission cable release (i think) so mower will start
I suspect that the engine brake cable is stretched, no way to adjust, will need to replace. Part #104-8676

Look at this website.

Diagrams

ronpanzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I suspect that the engine brake cable is stretched, no way to adjust, will need to replace. Part #104-8676

Look at this website.

Diagrams

OK, thank you very much! This helps me, because I could not find an adjustment method (there isn't one! :) Anyway, thank you for helping!

ronpanzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

OK, I replaced the part for the cable brake, but it didn't fix the problem. How far is the silver-colored lever down by the engine supposed to move when the handle is adjusted/squeezed to allow starting/running? That moves about 1/2 " right now. Is that all it's supposed to move?

If this is all it's supposed to move, then there must be something else hanging up. Is there something in the pull mechanism that might be broken or the transmission clutch (is there one?) or something else? Any more ideas?

Thanks!

ronpanzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I finally gave up and had a lawnmower/small engine repair expert take a look at it. He checked the compression and said it's very low and that the engine is blown, so that's the explanation (in case you were wondering :) thanks guys! will have a new Tecumseh engine installed, I guess. But I will wonder why the engine blew in the first place.