Toro 2-cycle help

hanyoukimura

Threads
Hey guys,

So I finally got around to looking at the Toro. The other day I put a but of fresh 50:1 gas mix in the carburetor and it started right up for a bout 20 seconds then died. So I figured fuel system clean. I cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel filter and line, and cleaned the carburetor. I also lubricated the starter assembly because the rope wouldn't return. put it all back together, give it a pull and it starts right up.

However, immediately the was a problem. It started making a noise, that metallic noise you here when something is wrong with the recoil, like it's caught. Before I could shut it off however, it died.

So I have two problems.

First, the recoil. If the bolts are tightened it will make that noise if I pull the rope, if they are a little loose so the assembly has room to move it won't. What do I do?

The second problem is more serious. It won't start back up. No matter how many pulls or if I prime it with fuel mix, nothing happens. It's got spark and compression, and besides the noise from the recoil I didn't hear anything else wrong.

Not sure what to do, not really familiar with these Suzuki engines. Any help would be much appreciated.

hanyoukimura

Threads
There goes my hope to mow the lawn with this mower today. :frown:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
First, the recoil. If the bolts are tightened it will make that noise if I pull the rope, if they are a little loose so the assembly has room to move it won't. What do I do?

The recoil mechanism on these engines is a high-quality unit, IMO. I guess you've examined it -- doesn't anything look wrong? Could the mounts (either on the starter or the shroud) be bent or something like that?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The second problem is more serious. It won't start back up. No matter how many pulls or if I prime it with fuel mix, nothing happens. It's got spark and compression, and besides the noise from the recoil I didn't hear anything else wrong.

I'll bet it just got flooded. If the problem persists, I'd look at the carb -- there are several tiny passages that can be clogged. My Suzuki-Toro had the worst case of clogged carb that I've ever dealt with -- but it turned out OK in the end.

Did you say that the engine was running fine (except for the starter noise) -- and for long enough that it couldn't be running on a prime?

Parkmower

Threads
If it doesn't start after waiting a bit. Id go over the carb again. Also check the blade for any damage. The ones I repaired had flywheel keys sheared and some would run a bit until the flywheel moved enough to throw the timing off. And then wouldn't run. But That was from the morons who ran them would hit stumps and rocks. And just didn't care about the mower.

And lastly the carb mixture screw may need to be adjusted.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Today I was reward with the sweet sound of 2-cycle fury. :biggrin:

Turns out it won't start in the coke position. On a whim I moved the throttle back a bit into the "fast" position and it fired right up! Runs great actually. I'm really pleased with this. Of course I have no grass to mow since I used the Honda earlier in the day, but maybe next time. I did mow a small patch with it and it worked fine. I had it running for ten minutes with no problems, so that's good. Turns out it has a blade clutch so that's nifty, and it works.

It's a fighter I have to say. Yesterday while I had my foot on it and was pulling over the back wheel collapsed. It's a weird design where the wheel has a tab that locks into the adjustment arm. I put that back so it would be level. Not sure how sturdy a design that is though.

Then I went to try and pull it over after replacing the spark plug only to have the starter rope break on me. I wasn't too pleased. I ended up putting the old plug back in, then used my electric drill to try and getting going. Nothing happened until I moved that throttle cable back, then, vroom! So I replaced the rope now that's fixed.

So I'm back to that recoil. Yes, it does have a single metal tab. I'm kinda iffy about opening it up because the last time I did that on a B&S assembly the spring popped out and I was unable to reuse it. But something needs to be don so it can be secured to the engine properly...

Also the self propelled feature appears to be broken. I'll have to look into why later.

Still, at least it runs. :smile: