Titan 54" zero turn banging noise at deck start up

Jim27

Threads
Have a Titan. About a year old. Got it out today for the first time this season to mow and the deck makes several loud bangs at startup. I did some investigation and it is the belt tensioner hitting the stop. It happens a couple times even with the engine at about 1/3 throttle but worse at higher speed so I throttled down when starting the deck. The tensioner vibrates a fair amount once up to speed - seems like more than it should. I didn't take the belt off but pulled on each of the blades and they all seemed to rotate smoothly and not hitting anything. Also checked the tensioner pulley and it turned smoothly too. I suppose I could just put a short piece of rubber hose on the stop pin to make it less noisy but it seems like shouldn't make such a racket. I don't recall it doing that last season.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Read Operators Manual remove, clean, inspect, service deck per instructions, let us know what you find, thanks, Mark
Full throttle before engaging PTO, full throttle while PTO stays engaged, page 20.

Last edited:

Jim27

Threads
Tried it at full throttle today and no banging. Tried it at lower throttle and had very little. Not sure why the difference between days. Maybe because it had been sitting all winter. Anyway, I will use full throttle and hope that solves the problem.

Lawn Addict
Threads
After warm up, it is best to always mow at full throttle.