Export thread

Tired, literally and figuratively

C

csaws

I am beyond keeping these garbage turf tires. I need some lug tires. I know the current tire is 20x12x10. Are there any lugged tire options? The current tires spin on dry chicken poop.

B

bertsmobile1

You should be able to find some suitable tyres at your friendly ATV shop.
Take the big wallet with you
Sand tyres will give the best balance between grip & ripping up your grass
Most people who complain about no traction are running on over inflated tyres
The side walls say some thing like 40 psi but they should be between 8 & 15 psi

C

csaws

I’ll try the tire pressure thing but I seriously doubt it’s gonna help with my traction issue.

Oh and also I don’t care if the “lugs” tear up the yard I’m not some yard freak I mow my yard so it looks nice but it gets mowed when I have time or just to annoy the lady across the street. She is fanatical about her yard being the shortest and well I may just push buttons based on when I mow.

Between my yard and the elderly neighbors yard we cut are some hilly areas that would benefit us to have lugged tires. We don’t live in a flat area of our state and don’t have pool table flat lawns.

now back to my original question.

R

Rivets

Why are you biting the hand that feeds you? Bert gave you some valuable advice, but you are blowing him off. I doubt you’ll get much better advice than what you’ve been given with your attitude. Your just another guy who says “I don’t like your advice so you must be an idiot “. Maybe your should have taken your win advice and stayed away from this forum.

C

csaws

Why are you biting the hand that feeds you? Bert gave you some valuable advice, but you are blowing him off. I doubt you’ll get much better advice than what you’ve been given with your attitude. Your just another guy who says “I don’t like your advice so you must be an idiot “. Maybe your should have taken your win advice and stayed away from this forum.
You should go back and read that I said I would try the air pressure adjustment. Sand tires are paddle tires as far as I know so that’s not helpful info at all.

R

Rivets

Take your own advice, as we are not an immediate answer form. We can only help those who don’t think they are smarter than us.

C

csaws

You should be able to find some suitable tyres at your friendly ATV shop.
Take the big wallet with you
Sand tyres will give the best balance between grip & ripping up your grass
Most people who complain about no traction are running on over inflated tyres
The side walls say some thing like 40 psi but they should be between 8 & 15 psi
Bert, so I can air the rear tires on this mower down to as low as 8 lbs? Or is the 8 lbs for the fronts and the 15 lbs you mentioned is for the rears?

StarTech

StarTech

It is more common here to have the fronts at 15 psi and rears at 10 psi. Anything higher tend beat you to death on our lawns around here.

And only high grip tires I found in the 20x10-10 are the following:

https://www.tires-easy.com/20-10.00-10/carlisle-tires/all-trail-ii/tirecode/510045

C

csaws

It is more common here to have the fronts at 15 psi and rears at 10 psi. Anything higher tend beat you to death on our lawns around here.

And only high grip tires I found in the 20x10-10 are the following:

https://www.tires-easy.com/20-10.00-10/carlisle-tires/all-trail-ii/tirecode/510045
I’ve seen those too but I’m pretty sure mine are 20x12x10 not 20x10x10 will those still fit the wheels?

StarTech

StarTech

You would be giving up 2 inches in width but they will fit those 10 inch rim.

C

csaws

You would be giving up 2 inches in width but they will fit those 10 inch rim.
Thanks I appreciate the time you took to help.

B

bertsmobile1

YEs you can run the rears that low
The lower the pressure the higher you need to raise the deck because the whole mower will be closer to the ground.
I am on a flood plain so the ground around here is very fine silt & clog up tyres very quickly if the ground is wet .
The tyres Star linked to are termed "Open tread" not lugged
Lugged is like a tractor tyre and lugged tyres both compact the soil and rip chunks out unless you make wide smooth turns .
The tyres that have worked best for my customers have been the sand tyres which are open tread in a block pattern.

The softer you run your tyres the more likely is they will roll off the rims
I have had mowers come in with tyres so low they did not read on my gauge
However what I usually have happen is people who got their mower delivered running their tyres at the same pressure that the courier used to carry them\Trruck drivers pump the tyres up very hard so they can tie the the mower down securely
They are supposed to drop them to working pressure when delivered but as they are paid by the job , most just drop & run.
Owners never read the operators manual so they just keep the tyres at the pressure they were delivered with so the mower slips & slides every where.

Yesterday I replaced the key switch on a McCulloch 1942 the owner had had since 2011.
I showed them the 2 available switches , the painted one for $ 62 or the unpainted one for $ 35 drawing their attention to it being hard to see the reverse mow positionThey had never realized there was a key position for mowing backwards & thad been turning the blades off dozens of times every mow

B

bertsmobile1

reported

1slow5point0h

1slow5point0h

I have some 22x11x10 ATV mud tires on mine. Pretty much solved any traction problem I’ll ever encounter.

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

YEs you can run the rears that low
The lower the pressure the higher you need to raise the deck because the whole mower will be closer to the ground.
I am on a flood plain so the ground around here is very fine silt & clog up tyres very quickly if the ground is wet .
The tyres Star linked to are termed "Open tread" not lugged
Lugged is like a tractor tyre and lugged tyres both compact the soil and rip chunks out unless you make wide smooth turns .
The tyres that have worked best for my customers have been the sand tyres which are open tread in a block pattern.

The softer you run your tyres the more likely is they will roll off the rims
I have had mowers come in with tyres so low they did not read on my gauge
However what I usually have happen is people who got their mower delivered running their tyres at the same pressure that the courier used to carry them\Trruck drivers pump the tyres up very hard so they can tie the the mower down securely
They are supposed to drop them to working pressure when delivered but as they are paid by the job , most just drop & run.
Owners never read the operators manual so they just keep the tyres at the pressure they were delivered with so the mower slips & slides every where.

Yesterday I replaced the key switch on a McCulloch 1942 the owner had had since 2011.
I showed them the 2 available switches , the painted one for $ 62 or the unpainted one for $ 35 drawing their attention to it being hard to see the reverse mow positionThey had never realized there was a key position for mowing backwards & thad been turning the blades off dozens of times every mow
I don't know if it is so much as the courier or just the manufactor who mounts the tires and inflates them from the factory. They normally are inflated to what's stated on the maximum pressure on the side of the tire. Take or give a few pounds in some instances. I've opened brand new mowers out of a crate that are already secured from manufactor that the tires mostly are at max pressure. I believe car tires and tire shops inflate or run close to what's stated on a tire unless the customer prefers otherwise.

1slow5point0h

1slow5point0h

I have some 22x11x10 ATV mud tires on mine. Pretty much solved any traction problem I’ll ever encounter.

Attachments