Tire Pressure

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been reading lately in miscellaneous forums that folks are inflating their drive and front tires with pressures of 8-12 PSI. I have a Hustler X-ONE, and for all of these years I have been inflating my tires with the max pressure embossed on the side of the tire (20 PSI rear, 28 front). It never occurred to me that PSI made much of difference in how easy or hard it is to mow the lawn as well as impact the finished look. I'm also wondering would that diminish the scalping I've done when I turn the machine one way or another, and maybe keep me from getting stuck in the mud every so often? I've been using this machine for 12 years, and now I feel like a dope for not knowing this kind of stuff!
If you haven't , consider a chalk test to determine which way you like for air pressure ..

Skippydiesel

Threads
The above video may assist in an initial tyre pressure setting & could work well for mower tyres BUT does not accommodate the inevitable heating (pressure rise) of the road vehicle tyre in work.
Further - most unladen (just driver & front passenger) vehicles will be heavier over the front axle (need higher pressure) than the back + lower pressure - this was not addressed.
A decent tyre supply store will be able to suggest an initial tyre inflation pressure. This should be followed up (as per video) with say monthly checks for wear using a gauge and tyre pressure adjusted accordingly.
A quick assessment of tyre pressure can be done when on a high speed (freeway) trip. When you pull over for fuel/comfort stop - place your hand on each tyre - they should be evenly warm (all same temperature). If too hot to keep hand on = pressure too low - Check pressure it will be high due to heating - add at least 10 psi to each tyre - make sure they all read the same (If a single tyre hot you have an air leak= change wheel). If tyres cold reduce pressure .

NOTE:
# Uneven tyre wear can also be caused by poorly aligned front wheels (camber, caster, toe in/out), worn shock absorbers, poor wheel balance
# Heavy loads and towing will require higher pressures in rear tyres - return to normal when no longer towing/carrying load.
# Fuel station air pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate - carry your own gauge, for consistent pressure readings (I like the little electronic digital ones) and always check cold tyre pressure (hot is unreliable)