Timing way off

Bbrayden85

Forum Newbie
Threads
So i have a briggs and stratton model 100202-0472-01 that is on an air compressor. It ran before this but i decided to rebuild this engine. I lapped the valves, and honed the cylinder. Before this the engine used a points system. So i bought a magneto to get rid of all that. Its tge exact same as the coil that was on it for points but when i try to run the engine it only fires through the intake. And if you line the magnet up with the magneto its in the middle of the intake stroke. Im just wondering why this is, if there is a workaround, or if this is a simple fix im not thinking of? Everything is timed right, the dots on the cam and crank, the mag is properly spaced. But the flywheel seems way out of time.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Try reversing the magneto, as in flip it over.
if that doesn't work, check your flywheel key.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You likely didn't torque things properly, and sheared the flywheel key.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also, put up a pic of the package that the new coil came in, it should look a little different than the old one.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The points coil engine's flywheels are different than the magnetron ones. Sometimes you can flip the coil over and it works. Sometimes not. If you have the old coil you can replace the points with a module to eliminate the points. Pretty much makes it same as a magnetron coil. Double check your key.

Like this

Bbrayden85

Forum Newbie
Threads
My flywheel key is sheered. That makes sense because it did run for a few seconds before backfiring and not running again. What could have caused it to shear so this doesn’t happen again?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What did you torque the flywheel nut to?

Bbrayden85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did not torque it because i do not have the special tool to tighten down the clutch. It uses the pullstart clutch to hold the flywheel down

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
New key, clean the top of the crank and inside the flywheel taper, tighten that nut really tight. Should do it.

Bbrayden85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. Already ordered a new key and will try that. Thank you for your time!