Timecutter z5060

firefly12ga

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having a issue with my Toro timecutter z5060 model 74375 serial number 280000700. It wouldnt crank this spring and I chalked it up to the gas so I drained teh fuel system and cleaned the carb and replaced all the gaskets. kholer motor is model sv730-0025.

It is running bad bogging down going up hill and in high grass. I have been trouble shooting things.

The mower will not start if I unlug the right hand spark plug wire. But the left hand plug is showing spark and with a spark plug light. The mower is old and i was thinking it was the coils. But now once I have seen that the plug is sparking I have no idea what it can be.

ANy help greatly appreciated.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the both plugs. Turn the engine by hand and Verify that the left piston is moving up and down.
Also, pull the left valve cover and see if you have a bent pushrod.
If you have spark on the left, there is probably something wrong with the left cylinder.
Have you ever adjusted the valves?

firefly12ga

Forum Newbie
Threads
NO To my knowledge valves have never been adjusted. Its been pretty good mower. I think I have had the starter replaced once and the dealer serviced it I have no idea if they adjusted valves but that was about 10 years ago. One problem I have had in the past is the spark plug wire on the left side would come off from time to time.

Lawn Addict
Threads
At the very least, remove the spark plugs & put your thumb over the hole & crank the engine with the starter.. Should want to blow your thumb off there.. If not, you gotta go deeper.

firefly12ga

Forum Newbie
Threads
The piston is turning. Well 2 new issues. I was trying to get the yard cut once more on one cylinder before I started fixing it. The cross shaft that holds both the wheels together that broke. I got lucky on this one it didnt break any of the brackets. It looks like I can extract the broke bolt fairly easily with no damage to the threads so on this it will be a cheap fix just 2 new bolts.

Now while I was worrying with that shaft I decided to pop that valve cover. Well I guess at the factory they cross thread one of the bolts and Yeap it snapped off. SO another issue to deal with. If I didnt have bad luck, I wouldnt have any at all. one thing I did notice is I have a small oil leak up in there some where so it may have a blown head casket.

firefly12ga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I took cover off and I do have a bent push rod no other damage inside. Easy fix there.

Now about the screw that broke off on the valve cover. Just the head broke off when I took cover off. I tried to use vice grips to get the screw out. NO joy it wouldnt budge.Pretty sure it came from the factory cross threaded on. I doubt the extractor I have will work if the vise grips wouldnt budge it.

I didnt want to mess it up to bad. Now what is the odds of just leaving it
as is and having 3 crews actually hold the cover on? Maybe adding extra gasket stuff to that corner. My guess at this point it needs to be redrilled and tapped. I dont have that ability at the house.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get some "The Right Stuff". It is better than RTV silicone sealants. Be sure surfaces are clean and oil free. Appy a liberal bead to the cover and install and thread bolts down till they SLIGHTLY compress the sealant. Wait about an hour then torque the bolts down.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get some "The Right Stuff". It is better than RTV silicone sealants. Be sure surfaces are clean and oil free. Appy a liberal bead to the cover and install and thread bolts down till they SLIGHTLY compress the sealant. Wait about an hour then torque the bolts down.
Yes.