Tiller runs for a couple seconds then dies

scrap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I have a 31cc yard machine tiller that has sit for a couple years. I went to start it today and noticed the fuel lines were completely disintegrated and had fell off.

so I:
-Installed new fuel lines
-Installed new spark plug with proper gap
-Installed new fuel filter
-Installed new primer bulb

Since the fuel lines were not intact I guessed at the proper line routing, it could be wrong.
After doing all that, it only runs for a few seconds before dying. Its like when the initial fuel from being primed runs out it dies.
I also attempted to clean the carb by soaking it in carb cleaner and stick a wire in every orifice i could see. All the gaskets and diaphragms seemed ok.

If i keep pumping the primer bulb it will continue to run but once i stopped pumping it dies within a few seconds which leads me to believe its definitely a fuel problem.

I am doing everything i can to resist throwing this thing in the river, help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has sat for a few years, I'll bet the diaphragms are both shot and need to be replaced. They may look good, but no longer flex or seal. Second, if you removed the diaphragms and gaskets, you may have installed them in the wrong order. Third, soaking a carb may take as long as 24 hours depending on how dirty it might be.

MRCo.

Threads
Totally carb issues. Soak it overnight or longer, then blast out everything with brake cleaner. Buy a carb kit and replace all the gaskets, etc. It needs a total rebuild.