Tiger Cat

rfc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thinking about starting up a lawn business and already have some customers but having a hard time deciding which Scag to buy. I'm thinking the Tiger Cat with the 52" deck would be a perfect start, any insight ? Is the 61" deck to much for the Tiger Cat frame ? Exactly what is the difference between the 22hp Kawasaki FS and Fx or should i go with the 23 FX ? Just looking for some advice, thanks .

Steve0853

Threads
If you're cutting for money, you will really need that 61 inch deck. It doesn't seem like much difference, but it covers a lot more ground.

I know you want to be careful with your purchase and not overspend, but if you get a few yards and build your business and enjoy grass cutting, then the difference in a $7,500 mower and a $10,000 mower is negligible over a couple of seasons.

I see a lot of guys towing a mower that is not big enough to handle the rigors of commercial use. Better to buy once and cry once. Also...having enough mower for the job keeps you mowing grass instead of doing repairs.

A Tiger Cat is a good mower that rides smooth. I would get the 61 inch with at least 27 HP. I also like Kohler engines, but everyone has their favorite.

kwak

Threads
First of all let me say that I do NOT mow professionally but I DO own a Scag Tiger Cat 61" with Kawasaki FX730. I feel like the mower is very well made and that both the engine and frame are more than adequate for the 61" deck. In fact if you search around on this forum I think you will find that the FX730 (23hp) is very comparable to the Kohler 27hp.

With all this being said I mow over 4 acres with my mower and most of it is pretty open and flat but there are times I wish I would have bought the 52" deck and in my honest opinion especially for someone mowing commercially it may benefit to have the smaller deck in most instances (fence gates being a major factor).

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with kwak. I suggest the Tiger Cat with a 52" deck and the Kawasaki FX engine. The FX engine has the HD two stage air filtration system as standard equipment and I highly recommend it. Dust is always a problem with ZTR machines and if you decide to add a collection system then you will be ahead of the game. I have a Hustler X-ONE with a Kawasaki FX730V engine, great engine!!! I think that the Tiger Cat with a 52" deck has a FX691V as an engine option, 22 HP I think. My Tiger Cub is Briggs powered and has a collection system mounted on a 48" deck. Any wider deck would give me loading problems with my 7X14 cargo trailer with ramp.
You can go to kawpower.com and get more info about Kawasaki small engines.
You can also go to scag.com and check out the various machines and specs.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

dnewton3

Threads
rfc - there's a lot to think about here ...
I don't have a direct answer for you, but I do have a lot of good points for you to ponder, so you can make the best decision that fits your specific situation.

The difference in deck size comes down to time. You mention that you're interested in starting a lawn business. Just how big? Is it something you'll do full time, or as a second job? Are you the only person mowing, or will there be others? Etc etc. Deck size will determin how much time you save or spend. However, don't get greedy at the expense of your wallet and succumb to the whole American philosophy of "If something is good, then more must be better". Too big has issues as well. Do you have gates, trees, a/c units, etc that you have to get in between? Only you know these anwers; we can't tell you what only you know. You can, with diligence, sit down and figure out how much time you'll save. It comes down to how many passes are cut for any acre you mow. At any given speed, you'll make "X" passes. Do the math on your projected lawn load, and see where it falls. For example, if you consider all other items equal (cut overlap, travel speed, etc), then a 61" deck will save you about 3.5 minutes for every acre you mow, over a 52" deck. If you only mow less than 10 acres a week, that's not really very much time you'd save. If you mow 15 acres a day, every day of the week, it can add up. This is why commercial crews use big rigs; it is cumulative. But if you're only doing this as a part time, extra pocket cash gig, then the added expense probably isn't worth it. And don't forget about physical constraints of size, including your trailer!

The FX engine is a more robust engine for true commercial use. These are meant to run 8-10 hours a day, every day of the week. If this is how you'll use it, then the FX is a great choice. If you intend to run this lawn business on the side, to supplement your income, and you'll only mow a few extra hours a week, then the FS would likley do well.

How much power you really "need' (not want, but need) is a function of how much load you expect to pull. If you expect very hilly areas, and heavy wet grass, etc, then get more power. If smooth, level lawns are presesnt, and you'll only mow in the afternoon after the dew is done, then you can get away with a little less power.

One last thing; consider used equipment if this will be a part-time gig. You can save a bundle on someone else's asset depreciation. Don't buy a clapped-out piece of junk, but there are some decent used units out there, if you look hard enough.

My point is that we cannot tell you what to buy, but we can give you good info on how to make the selection that makes you most happy with your decision. The more info you use, the better and more refined your decision will be.

All food for your thoughts.