Tiger Cat II - Overkill for Homeowner?

Just report back to us in here in 20 years and let us know. If you take just reasonable care of it in 20 years it will still be running great.
 
I have a smaller yard than you. I shopped and researched and found certain characteristics that I felt I needed in a ZTR mower. By the time I got to the models that had the features I felt were required, it was a hop, skip and a jump to the Tiger Cat II which is what I had my mind made up I wanted if I could afford it. The dealer made me a good deal so I got CFO approval and did it. Is it over kill? Heck yes! But to me, it was worth it to get a mower that would last and keep up with my, let's just say, less than skillful driving abilities. Yes, the seat, oh my, the seat! My back loves me for this choice (granted, I had to pay to upgrade to the suspension seat as I got the 48" deck since there are 5 choke points in my yard that limited deck size). I only have one mow day on it so far, but what a difference coming from a 15 year old 40" Murray! Get what you want, if any one ask you why, say "Because I could, that's why!" Good luck!
 
Yep, learned that lesson years ago, too much is better than not enough for yard equipment.

Ditto!!!! My elderly Dad chastised me years ago when I chose to buy a commercial ZTR and not the cheapo Wally World lawn tractor that he had and was falling apart, literally. He told me, "For what you paid for that machine, you could buy 3 of my cheapo machines". And I answered, "yes, and I would still have 3 cheapos". My 11 year old commercial is still running strong. His cheapo died a long time ago and parts have never been easy to get for that junk. Overkill is better than 'underkill', IMO.
 
I've done a lot of research and decided that i'd like to pick up a Tiger Cat II with a 52" decl to mow my 2 acres. I don't plan on buying until closer to spring, but I stopped at a couple local dealers recently and both told me that the Tiger Cat is overkill for my needs. They tried to steer me towards a Liberty Z or a Hustler Raptor. My neighbor has a Hustler Raptor SD and he let me try it out and I thought it felt cheap. He seemed to be happy with it, but I like to buy things that will last. That being said, am I being unreasonable thinking that the Tiger Cat II is the right machine for me? Money isn't a factor in this decision and I'm willing to spend up to 10k for a nice mower. I just don't want to completely waste my money on something that isn't appropriate for me.

Did you buy the machine you wanted and what's your thoughts on it so far?
 
Did you buy the machine you wanted and what's your thoughts on it so far?

Sorry, haven't checked back in in a little while. I've been too busy mowing with my new Tiger Cat. I did buy it and I love it! The seat is super comfortable and it cuts awesome. I don't see myself needing or wanting another mower for quite a long time.
 
Sorry, haven't checked back in in a little while. I've been too busy mowing with my new Tiger Cat. .

I think most of us can understand that. I work, drive, sleep, and mow - and that's about it for this summer. Whew. A good machine does make a world of difference in the chore though.
 
Ditto!!!! My elderly Dad chastised me years ago when I chose to buy a commercial ZTR and not the cheapo Wally World lawn tractor that he had and was falling apart, literally. He told me, "For what you paid for that machine, you could buy 3 of my cheapo machines". And I answered, "yes, and I would still have 3 cheapos". My 11 year old commercial is still running strong. His cheapo died a long time ago and parts have never been easy to get for that junk. Overkill is better than 'underkill', IMO.

I know of a Scag mower that one of my neighbors has that was bought in 1989 that is running just as good as ever. He cuts a considerable amount of grass with it eery week. Wonder how many of those Wally world cheapo mowers they would have bought by now cutting that much grass for that many years?
 
Back
Top