Throttle lever swivel

MarineBob

Threads
I have a couple of old Ryobi machines: tiller, trimmers. I got them running fairly well but I got a problem after scavenging parts. On the carb end of the throttle cable, the connector to the throttle is what I have found is called a throttle lever swivel. It connects to the throttle with a 'c' clip to hold it in the hole and a screw that allows adjustment of the length of the trigger cable. On one machine the part is too worn to be acceptable. I have tried to find a replacement and the best I can find is a Walbro that is the same idea but the shaft is too big diameter. I thought I might drill out the throttle hole a bit but then there would be no 'meat' left on the throttle connector and I am afraid it would break. Does anyone have any ideas? I am thinking I might be able to find a fine/small machine screw and drill out a hole to put the throttle cable through and lock it with a nut on either side. Life would be a lot easier to find a suitable replacement.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
just can't picture what you are describing. Then I went to see if there was a model and serial to see if maybe some kind of pictorial online but again nothing to go on. Sorry.

MarineBob

Threads
1654701223654.png The small nub on the bottom goes through the throttle yoke (?) on the carb. The throttle cable goes through the holes on the fat part and the screw goes into the threaded holes that allow the screw to lock the cable in the correct length. My problem is, I can not find a similar part that has the bottom nub that has a smaller diameter. I would drill out the yoke but its not all that wide and I don't think there would be enough metal left so that it might not break. The nomenclature I found is Throttle lever swivel assembly. With the c clip on the bottom the swivel is allowed to to turn a bit to keep the cable aligned as you throttle up and down. Even if it did not move, it would likely work acceptably

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you want help post some model and serial numbers or a series of photos of the parts. We can't see what you are looking at from here. What you posted are parts that come on every small ZUMA carb i have installed. My old Mantis tiller had a cable from the handle that ran down to that brass part that was on the ZUMA carb.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do a google search for “cable connection swivel”. You should be able to find the size you need.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
LMAO. Shows fishing lure swivels, and also large chain/cable swivels.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You want a narrower search add the word throttle to “cable connection swivel”

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
how about a guy holding a walleye, a line with a swivel lure, and fishing pole sitting in the back of the boat with his hands on the throttle? Does that come close? :)

My mantis had such a barrel on it like on handlebar pull brakes on a bicycle. How about "throttle adjuster barrel"

Rimritanya

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry to hear about your problem with the throttle lever swivel - sounds like a tricky one! I think drilling out the throttle hole could be a good idea, but it can be a bit hard to find a suitable replacement. UPET GROUP has a wide selection of parts and components for machines like yours, so you might find what you need. Check out the website to see if anything fits the bill. If you can't find what you need, they have an experienced team of engineers who can help you find the right solution. Just shoot them an email and they'll be happy to lend a hand. Good luck and hope you find a suitable replacement soon!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right now I have about 50 deceased Ryobi trimmers in the scrap bin
I would imagine that most workshops who actually do repairs would be the same .
People come in with a Ryobi to repair, get a quote that is anywhere from 8o% to 200% of the cost of a new one so they walk out, & leave the product behind to cover the cost of doing the quote as if I could make any money selling used Ryobi parts.
Every now & then I take a trailer load down the the charity workshop & they pull them apart to recover the scrap metal .