Thoughts / Guidance Residential Z Turn Purchase?

als20

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have read a ton of posts/opinions here and elsewhere on Z-Turns was hoping to get some thoughts on where I am at.

I have probably about .6 acres of reatively flat lawn to cut and would like to get a z-turn. Currently push mowing. Only looking to mow - nothing else.

Any thoughts to help me decide would be apprciated - why one is better or worse etc...

I have narrowed down to

JD z235 for about $2250 (w discount coupon)
- w discount could easily afford extended warr that included onite service or pick up.
- Prob get at lowes - dealer if needed for service is 35-40 minutes away

Gravely ZT42 $2699
- can't figure out how this weighs over 100 lbs less than any others I am looking at
- 3 yr warranty
- dealer about 35 minutes away

Bad Boy MZ4200 $2950 (Briggs) $3350 (Kawasaki)
- Seen mixed things on their warr service but generally good stuff about machines
- dealer 1 hr away

Exmark Quest QTE651 $3299
- Other than Kawasaki Motor specs don't seem much better than the JD
- dealer 10 minutes away

Trying to figure out if the extra money is really worth it for a BB or Exmark given it is only for residential use... I kind of don't want to spend more than $3k.

Thanks!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have read a ton of posts/opinions here and elsewhere on Z-Turns was hoping to get some thoughts on where I am at.

I have probably about .6 acres of reatively flat lawn to cut and would like to get a z-turn. Currently push mowing. Only looking to mow - nothing else.

Any thoughts to help me decide would be apprciated - why one is better or worse etc...

I have narrowed down to

- w discount could easily afford extended warr that included onite service or pick up.

Gravely ZT42 $2699
- can't figure out how this weighs over 100 lbs less than any others I am looking at
- 3 yr warranty

- Seen mixed things on their warr service but generally good stuff about machines
- dealer 1 hr away

- dealer 10 minutes away

Trying to figure out if the extra money is really worth it for a BB or Exmark given it is only for residential use... I kind of don't want to spend more than $3k.

Thanks!

Gravely owner here. I don't know much about the base ZT line or why the 42" weighs in at 425 lbs, but the 42" in the Gravely ZT XL series(next model line up) jumps up to 615 lbs. Most likely the frame isn't quite as heavy duty on the entry model and it does have a stamped deck(versus all the other Gravley's having a fabricated deck) and the sealed Residential HydroGear EZT trannies are some reasons. Those items would be my guess why it only comes in at 425. The 42" ZT XL Gravely, in my opinion, would be a much better ZTR for your money at $3999 MSRP(ZT-2800 trannies). That's a little pricier than the Quest, but I am a happy Gravely owner and recommend them. That's not saying that the base ZT is not a good mower i just think you need to onsider a ZTR that has serviceable(versus sealed0 trannies for longevity. If you will give a "maximum" budget amount you have in mind, I'll be glad to take several(including the brands you mentioned) and give you some pros/cons(I, for one believe thare are a whole lot of good Zero Turns avaialable......NOT just the Gravely). I made counter offers on a Hustler, Bad Boy & Dixon last fall and ended up getting the Gravely which was the most bang for my buck.
P.S.
Oooops....just noticed your $3k budget you mentioned at the end of your post. For that money you'll find it difficult to get into something at a dealer and the big box retailer models like the JD at Lowes have the service dilemma and in my opinion not the same quality as dealer models. I'll have to give some more thought and research to come up with any ZTR recommendations at around $3K.

jimrs

Threads
I don't know which one to tell you. The John Deere is the one I would steer away from, but that's just me. Is there not a Toro dealer close. I have a Toro Time Cutter 42" that I really like it's cheaper than $3000.00. Your not cutting a lot of grass but more than I would want to using a push mower. I know all the disadvantages everyone talks about but like you I have no need to spend 3000 to 10,000 for a lawnmower.

Out of the list you listed I would go for the exmark. but in the toro. I love the fact you can control the speed with the two speed transmission, or whatever it works in tight areas. If I remember right I paid $2400.00 for mine. Then added a couple of hundred more for hour meter and mulching kit.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know which one to tell you. The John Deere is the one I would steer away from, but that's just me. Is there not a Toro dealer close. I have a Toro Time Cutter 42" that I really like it's cheaper than $3000.00. Your not cutting a lot of grass but more than I would want to using a push mower. I know all the disadvantages everyone talks about but like you I have no need to spend 3000 to 10,000 for a lawnmower.

Out of the list you listed I would go for the exmark. but in the toro. I love the fact you can control the speed with the two speed transmission, or whatever it works in tight areas. If I remember right I paid $2400.00 for mine. Then added a couple of hundred more for hour meter and mulching kit.

als30,
User jimrs is spot on....for homeowners that have < 1 acre and for normal usage(with regular maintenance) the entry-level Residential ZTR's will be fine and you don't have to spend upwards of $4k for a lawn mower. Just as long as you have realistic expectations and do not expect the mower to have the same quality features, components and durability of Residential models that will cost $3k-$4k you can still significantly improve your lawn mowing experience with a ZTR. I would still recommend that if you can find the same Make/Model that you may see at Lowes, Sears, Home Depot, etc. at a nearby dealer and it is not "significantly more expensive"(many dealers will get very close to a nearby big box retailer) for you to patronize and buy from a reputable dealer. If there is ever a need for Warranty repairs you will thank yourself a thousand times over for the extra few bucks you spent buying from that dealer!!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have probably about .6 acres of relatively flat lawn to cut and would like to get a z-turn. Currently push mowing. Only looking to mow - nothing else.

Any thoughts to help me decide would be appreciated - why one is better or worse etc...

I have narrowed down to

- w discount could easily afford extended warranty that included onite service or pick up.

Gravely ZT42 $2699
- 3 yr warranty

- Seen mixed things on their warranty service but generally good stuff about machines
- dealer 1 hr away

- dealer 10 minutes away

Thanks!

Why are you considering A ZTR? With only .6 acre a nice 30 inch Self Propelled mower would be sufficient and somewhat cheaper to buy and run. You said you have an Exmark dealer close, check on the Exmark 30" commercial, you can buy it for like $1700. Exmark Manufacturing - Products
If you can find a Toro dealer check out the Turf Master 30" Commercial $1700 or there Time Master 30" residential.$999

Last edited:

lawnguy67

Threads
Well I don't know all the technical names but I think the zero turn cub cadet is the consumer favorite right now

Tom59

Threads
Why not a small lawn tractor less money .6 acres is cake for one. I wouldn't leave them out save you a pile of cash too. Toro makes good entry level ZTR's. I know three people with them they do the job. I'd expect 12-14yrs out of one properly maintaned cutting a half acre.
Maybe more ....

Threads
I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

als20

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input. Thought I would just give an update. I would say even prior to my original post I agreed with the advantages of buying from a dealer.

I was leaning toward the Gravley which seemed to have a good combination of features and price - thicker but stamped deck, Kawasaki motor, and the wider back tires - from a dealer.

While doing a little more research after my post I stumbled across Hustler and found a dealer 25-30 minutes away. The hustler raptor fits into the category I have been considering. Seems like hustler has a pretty good reputation, which I know comes mainly from the commercial side. I looked at and test drove a 52 inch raptor, they did not have a 42 in stock. I ended up ordering one. Seems like a nice unit in this residential (compromise) category. 21.5 Kawasaki, fabricated 11 gauge deck with reinforced edges, wider back tires, negotiated $2700. Should have it next week.

For what it's worth from a salesman (he did seem like a straight shooter) he said they order the hustlers 3 at a time per model and cannot keep them in stock.

I'll try to post an update/review.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your input. Thought I would just give an update. I would say even prior to my original post I agreed with the advantages of buying from a dealer.

I was leaning toward the Gravley which seemed to have a good combination of features and price - thicker but stamped deck, Kawasaki motor, and the wider back tires - from a dealer.

While doing a little more research after my post I stumbled across Hustler and found a dealer 25-30 minutes away. The hustler raptor fits into the category I have been considering. Seems like hustler has a pretty good reputation, which I know comes mainly from the commercial side. I looked at and test drove a 52 inch raptor, they did not have a 42 in stock. I ended up ordering one. Seems like a nice unit in this residential (compromise) category. 21.5 Kawasaki, fabricated 11 gauge deck with reinforced edges, wider back tires, negotiated $2700. Should have it next week.

For what it's worth from a salesman (he did seem like a straight shooter) he said they order the hustlers 3 at a time per model and cannot keep them in stock.

I'll try to post an update/review.

Congratulations als20!!!! For your needs that Hustler should do a great job for you. Very decent price for a 42" ZTR as well!!!! We're looking forward to your feedback!!! Enjoy.