Export thread

This Winter Is Going To be VERY Different…

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Not sure of the accuracy, but it's worth a look.

P.S. I find it highly objectionable that the guy says "I remember back in the old days, the great snow storm of 198?"
The old days in the 80's? Makin me feel old.

F

fixit1ddh

I remember blizzard of 78. December 77 purchased a new 78 chevy 4x4 with blade. 2 weeks after blizzard. I made 12 months payments on that truck.

The old days in the 80's? Makin me feel old.
Yea me too..

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I'll take anything less than 100° every day.
Bring the blizzards, bring it on. I need to work on some snowblowers. :ROFLMAO:

No blizzards for me or any of that white stuff they call snow. But the temperate temps are welcome.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I have a mulberry tree in the back that's already started changing to fall colors. The leaves are turning yellow and some are falling off. These past few days have been amazing. Nothing even in the 90's. Rain in the mornings. But starting next Sat, it's going to be in the mid to high 90's until decemenber <<lol.

Scrub, you're down in SE Texas, right? I feel for you, man. You not only get the 100 degree days, but probably that gulf humidity to boot. Making anything outside miserable.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

No blizzards for me or any of that white stuff they call snow. But the temperate temps are welcome.

I hear ya on that. I live in the middle of pine timber country. Where the pine tree's are talling than the power lines, and way too close. We don't get just one power line being taken out. It's usually 40 or 50. And that's just within 10 miles of town.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I hear ya on that. I live in the middle of pine timber country. Where the pine tree's are talling than the power lines, and way too close. We don't get just one power line being taken out. It's usually 40 or 50. And that's just within 10 miles of town.
Every year people like to speculate and talk about the weather. The fact is, if you work outside every day, you become very aware of the weather. I’ll take the heat over the cold any day, however, as you get older, heat nor cold are appealing. The two months of the year when the weather temperature is just right are amazing.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

What's the joke?
I remember spring. It was on a Tuesday.

StarTech

StarTech

Now I thought you was old but just not that old. zI think you being 1825 yrs old has all of us beat.

StarTech

StarTech

What's the joke?
Let's see. I call it Yo Yo weather. Just in the last few days we went from birthday suit weather to needing a light jacket in the mornings to sweating heavy in the afternoons. Kinda reminds of California weather in Salinas. This fog so dense this morning can't even see the neighbor's house. I will try to get a couple things before heat sits in and before the rain which turn things into a sauna.

Well at it not as hot as it was for the last two weeks. I was only getting a couple hours of work done before I started roasting those days. But now apparently knows when I get all my tools out for a job as it start back to raining as soon as get under the equipment. Then of course I have rush and put things away after drying them. OF course just rains enough to make mess. At least I got a half day done yesterday before the rain out.

Boy I am going have to get myself one of those double carports and a big roll about fan. Then some side and end panels for winter use. I just wish weather was like it was when I was younger where it stay more steady and I could get use to it. But I know things are just going to more Yo Yo as time goes by. We all have screw things up pretty bad now and mother nature is pissed and she is going to show us who is boss.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Things have slowed down and last couple weeks have been half days in the shop. I have a couple fans but I can't take the humidity. I have been known to shovel snow in shirts and a tee shirt. Back when I was 18 in boot camp at Dix in NJ I passed out from heat stroke and dehydration in november on a 6 mile march. I sweated so bad my boots looked like I stepped in water. When they dried they were white.

R

Rivets

I go by the adage whether relaxing or working, “I can always add an extra layer, but only take so much off”. Working in cold can warm you up, but working in heat won’t cool you down.

H

Honest Abe

I remember more than a few blizzards; but, the blizzard of '72 had be snowbound at a job site by myself for 3 days. Fortunately, it was at a manufacturing plant, and I raided every vending machine in the place.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

One day it was about 0 degrees and very windy and I drove by a cell tower with a guy about halfway up it. That's when I told myself your job isn't that bad.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

What's the joke?

Thanks man. I just spent 5 minutes cleaning coffee off my computer screen and keyboard. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I really gotta learn not to drink anything while reading comments.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I remember more than a few blizzards; but, the blizzard of '72 had be snowbound at a job site by myself for 3 days. Fortunately, it was at a manufacturing plant, and I raided every vending machine in the place.

One time back in the 80's, I was living outside of Dallas. I had spent the weekend with two lovely ladies in a big fancy house, high up on some hills, overlooking Joe Pool lake. (that was memorable in itself). But we got an ice storm that weekend. Monday morning came and there was simply no safe way to get down the hill. If anyone knows anything about Dallas, there are very few hills. So calling the boss Monday morning trying to explain why I couldn't make it to work, after bragging to him on Friday what the weekend was going to bring....... Well, he wasn't buying it, because all the major roads were clear.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I have a mulberry tree in the back that's already started changing to fall colors. The leaves are turning yellow and some are falling off. These past few days have been amazing. Nothing even in the 90's. Rain in the mornings. But starting next Sat, it's going to be in the mid to high 90's until decemenber <<lol.

Scrub, you're down in SE Texas, right? I feel for you, man. You not only get the 100 degree days, but probably that gulf humidity to boot. Making anything outside miserable.
Yep, Conroe.
That humidity sucks ass.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yep, Conroe.
That humidity sucks ass.

I'm right there with you. The humidity up here in south central Arkansas is about that of the gulf coast. Today is 92. And the humidity is about 65%. So it feels like 104.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I'm right there with you. The humidity up here in south central Arkansas is about that of the gulf coast. Today is 92. And the humidity is about 65%. So it feels like 104.
in the midday/afternoon the humidity isn't too bad, but in the evening.....it gets down right muggy

B

bertsmobile1

Having spent much of my pre college year working in sweat shop factories , foundries & forges followed by 8 years at foundries , heat is not a problem.
It is just a matter of what you are acclimatised to
As I get older (72 this year ) I do find excessive heat a problem but the solution is to take the deck chair & esky into the pine trees and have a nice long nap then work in the evening or late night when it is cool
Outside I have some LED work lights so I can work all night , but if you do that here you need a brighter light shinning on a white sheet or ball several yards away to attract all of the bugs

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Having spent much of my pre college year working in sweat shop factories , foundries & forges followed by 8 years at foundries , heat is not a problem.
It is just a matter of what you are acclimatised to
As I get older (72 this year ) I do find excessive heat a problem but the solution is to take the deck chair & esky into the pine trees and have a nice long nap then work in the evening or late night when it is cool
Outside I have some LED work lights so I can work all night , but if you do that here you need a brighter light shinning on a white sheet or ball several yards away to attract all of the bugs

The other day I was sitting on the back patio taking a break. Sudden I woke up. Guess I had dozed off.
There was two mosquito's sitting next to me.
One says, "Shall we eat him here, or take him over the fence?
The other replies, "We'd better eat him here. There's a big one over there.

B

bertsmobile1

There is a specific breed of mosquitoes called Hexham Browns
They are easy to spot because they are so bit they come with landing lights and when flocked do actually cast a shaddow
Down side is they do bite humans, most of the other big mossies usually do not bite people although they seem to be leaning bad habits .
But again it is a case of learning to to live with them
Most do not like mints , penny royal and a variety of strong fragrant herbs so they get planted along the stairs that lead to the front door so I brush against them releasing the odours all the time

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

There is a specific breed of mosquitoes called Hexham Browns
They are easy to spot because they are so bit they come with landing lights and when flocked do actually cast a shaddow
Down side is they do bite humans, most of the other big mossies usually do not bite people although they seem to be leaning bad habits .
But again it is a case of learning to to live with them
Most do not like mints , penny royal and a variety of strong fragrant herbs so they get planted along the stairs that lead to the front door so I brush against them releasing the odours all the time
Rosemary keeps a variety of bug away too

True, my mrs knows more about that stuff tho, than me tho...

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

True, my mrs knows more about that stuff tho..
You implying something?.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not at all, She just has the green thumb around here.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

WOW, I woke up this morning and the temp was in the high 60's. I think todays high was like 85. It shows it's only 75 right now.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Wait till monday.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

WOW, I woke up this morning and the temp was in the high 60's. I think todays high was like 85. It shows it's only 75 right now.
It was 67 when i woke up. Made it up to 101 though.

Barely hit 80 today, last night was 62, had windows open..

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

It was 67 when i woke up. Made it up to 101 though.

You folks get caught up in that high pressure system that just won't let anything in or out. (except humidity and sunshine)

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

You folks get caught up in that high pressure system that just won't let anything in or out. (except humidity and sunshine)
Use bug spray with active ingredient DEET 25% to repel mosquitoes, etc. Drink lots of water throughout the day. Both the heat and the cold takes energy out of you and can feel it at the end of the day. The two keys to being outside are the right clothing and the right attitude. Remember, many people these days spend very little time outside. They spend 5 minutes outside and say, “ It is too hot/cold out here”, and immediately go back inside.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Yup.
We have a chance of rain next week.
And when I say chance, I mean, as much chance that I have of going on a date with Kate Upton.
Slim to none. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yup.
We have a chance of rain next week.
And when I say chance, I mean, as much chance that I have of going on a date with Kate Upton.
Slim to none. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You ever notice how they put a chance of rain at the end of the 10 day forecast. Like the 9th or 10th day. And it stays at the end of the 10 day forecast.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Use bug spray with active ingredient DEET 25% to repel mosquitoes, etc. Drink lots of water throughout the day. Both the heat and the cold takes energy out of you and can feel it at the end of the day. The two keys to being outside are the right clothing and the right attitude. Remember, many people these days spend very little time outside. They spend 5 minutes outside and say, “ It is too hot/cold out here”, and immediately go back inside.

Recently I started getting sun bumps on my arms when I spend too much time outside. When I mow my landlords place, it takes all darn day. So following the Mexicans rule of thumb, I bought me some light colored long sleeve shirts. I was somewhat surprised at how cool I stayed. I was sweating. But noticed when the breeze came, it cooled me off in a hurry.
Of course the temps have been very good these last few days. The real test is going to be next week when they climb back up into high 90's and 100's. But I suspect, even with high temps, if I can catch a breeze, those shirts are going to be worth their weight in gold.

I bought me some light colored long sleeve shirts. I was somewhat surprised at how cool I stayed. I was sweating. But noticed when the breeze came, it cooled me off in a hurry.
Oh, Yea, I have been wearing long sleeve shirts, boonie hat, & 3/4 length gloves, during yard work etc... That 30+ years basking in Fla sun long ago, & getting older, is catching up to me, not to mention the 17 + years up here in the deep south..

B

bertsmobile1

There is a very sound reason why Arabs wear those long flowing loose fitting robes
They are substantially cooler than shirts & trousers because they draw the slightly cooler air in from the bottom & allow it to leave via the loose neckline
Same story for furnace attire always loose with lots of space between the body & the material
Total blithering idiots get into tight fitting T shirts & shorts then go out into the sun so the direct sunlight heats the skin ( and blood ) and the tight fitting cloths holds that heat to the body
Some how we have either forgotten what we learned over 5,000 years , tight cloths = warm , loose cloths = cool or we have decided that making a "sexy" reflection in shop windows is more important than comfort & health

We have been in a heatwave recently. & I gotta say protecting my skin is more important, that trying to look cool..

I see some neighbors starting to do the same.

Commercial mow crews been doing this, long time. & agree it helps ya stay cooler as well.

B

bertsmobile1

I find the whole situation quite laughable
So we wear tight cloths which cause our perspiration ( which cools the body ) to make the cloths damp and of course feeds the bacteria on our skin so they fart ( we cal this BO )
So to counter this and prove we are total idiots totally disconnected from the realities of life we spray anti persperants allover our bodies to stop them self cooling and when that perspiration that has been sitting under our skin for hours finally breaks through the glue holding it back it stinks so we grab the perfume to cover it up then go stand in front of the air conditioner and complain about the excessive heat .
Do humans really have the superiour brains ?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

The false Fall we had was nice. Now it's back to summer.
1692369487908.jpeg