Repairs This is an email I sent to Ariens/Briggs&Stratton...Comments Appreciated

oldadmark

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / This is an email I sent to Ariens/Briggs&Stratton...Comments Appreciated
This is an email I submitted to Ariens & B/S. Your comments would be appreciated.

In late 2010 I purchased this Ariens lawn tractor from Home Depot in Towson Maryland. I never had a day of trouble with it and maintained it per the manual. I used it two cutting seasons. This season, about a week ago, while completing about half of my grass cut, the mower sputtered, then stopped. I could not restart it and had to physically push it up our front yard hill to our garage.

After checking the manual for trouble-shooting I purchased a new spark plug, fuel filter, and air filter. After installation it still would not start.

I asked an old friend, who is an excellent mechanic and has worked on my mowers for many years, to stop over and help me trouble-shoot the problem. After trying everything he knew he indicated that he needed to get a look at the inside of the engine and needed me to call Ariens to check on the warranty. After speaking to one of the reps, I was told that the tractor was "JUST" out of warranty. It couldn't have been very long.

So my friend removed the case cover and immediately found the problem. Your (Briggs/Stratton) factory did not tighten the rocker arm fitting (bolt) properly and the rocker arm was just about falling off the engine block. We tightened it and closed up everything and the mower runs better that when I 1st bought it.

I am very disappointed in Ariens as well as Briggs/Stratton (whom I called after speaking to an Ariens Rep) and both told me there was nothing they could do. This was apparently not a quality-produced machine. I at the very least I expected a warranty extension. Neither Ariens or Briggs/Stratton would work with me on this. If this happens again it will again support the fact that this machine was not one of your quality models.

I am sending a copy to Briggs/Stratton, whose Customer Service Rep was very abrupt with me and not helpful at all. One of your two companies should at least assist me with continued help with this problem based on what's happened and what may occur again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You asked for comments, but you may not like them. I don't think we are getting the full story. 1. Just out of warranty, late 2010-summer 2013, to me that is at least 8 months. 2. On today's OHV small engines the valve clearance should be checked about every two years. This is all engine manufacturers. If our shop adjusts a average of one a week I might be low, it is now part of the non-starting troubleshooting procedure. Why are you blaming Ariens, they didn't build the engine. Blaming Briggs for not tightening a bolt, I don't think so. If you knew how an engine is constructed and works, you would understand how the rocker arm nuts/locks do come loose. I'm surprised that you didn't blame the mechanic for not catching this during your spring tune-up. To me this is just another consumer who feels their unit is a lemon and wants the manufacturers to give them more. I'll bet that you do all your own tune-ups and this units never been to a shop in almost 3 years. It's always someone else's fault and I should be compensated. Sorry, I can't back you on this problem and i have no connection with any of the company's mentioned. I just fix them. Like I said in the beginning, you might not like what you will hear and I might like the comments on my answer.

oldadmark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. However, we are at odds with regard to the standards I hold the engine manufacturer (Briggs & Stratton) and the tractor maker (Ariens) to. What I didn't stipulate in the scenario was that DURING the warranty period I saw some of the symptoms developing (sputtering at times) but didn't contact Ariens. That was my fault. Since the tractor continued running without stopping I ignored some of those symptoms. However, if these developed before the warranty period was completed shouldn't that speak to the quality of a machine that was gently used for only two seasons?

Tom59

Threads
Go through your maintenance chart should be in your briggs manual. My kawasaki valve clearance is checked every 300 hours....How many hours on this engine. Hours are your guide not years. My machine probably won't have but 30-40 hours on it in two years. Nevermind every engine has different levels of build quality and parts and obviously the schedules vary. You cannot lump all engines into one group either. - if its not starting that's another ball game , obviously.

My generator engine is every 100 hours ....generac.

Also , if you do service an engine - in warranty- they can lay the blame at your feet. -Not basic maintenance of course. Unless its dealer serviced.

Ariens is well within their rights - but good customer service should include a good attitude without being rude.

I would follow the engine makers schedule. - Out of warranty is out of warranty. Some companies are forgiving , but most are not.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
First off :welcome: to the forum and stick around for their is a lot of knowledge here to help you with your outdoor machinery. Looking on the bright side you were able to find and cure the engines problem very easily thanks to your old friend at no cost in parts to you. Hopefully you will return the favor to him in some way. I don't believe in extended warranties but for some they make sense. The main thing is to follow the manufacturers guidelines on servicing and use factory authorized shops if you want them to stand behind their products. That said be alert to changes in performance as you were and investigate them. In order to stay competitive a lot of the machinery is made with less quality in materials and workmanship now a days so as the adage goes you do get what you pay for. Remember the way you were treated when you go to buy again.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is an email I submitted to Ariens & B/S. Your comments would be appreciated.

In late 2010 I purchased this Ariens lawn tractor from Home Depot in Towson Maryland. I never had a day of trouble with it and maintained it per the manual. I used it two cutting seasons. This season, about a week ago, while completing about half of my grass cut, the mower sputtered, then stopped. I could not restart it and had to physically push it up our front yard hill to our garage.

After checking the manual for trouble-shooting I purchased a new spark plug, fuel filter, and air filter. After installation it still would not start.

I asked an old friend, who is an excellent mechanic and has worked on my mowers for many years, to stop over and help me trouble-shoot the problem. After trying everything he knew he indicated that he needed to get a look at the inside of the engine and needed me to call Ariens to check on the warranty. After speaking to one of the reps, I was told that the tractor was "JUST" out of warranty. It couldn't have been very long.

So my friend removed the case cover and immediately found the problem. Your (Briggs/Stratton) factory did not tighten the rocker arm fitting (bolt) properly and the rocker arm was just about falling off the engine block. We tightened it and closed up everything and the mower runs better that when I 1st bought it.

I am very disappointed in Ariens as well as Briggs/Stratton (whom I called after speaking to an Ariens Rep) and both told me there was nothing they could do. This was apparently not a quality-produced machine. I at the very least I expected a warranty extension. Neither Ariens or Briggs/Stratton would work with me on this. If this happens again it will again support the fact that this machine was not one of your quality models.

I am sending a copy to Briggs/Stratton, whose Customer Service Rep was very abrupt with me and not helpful at all. One of your two companies should at least assist me with continued help with this problem based on what's happened and what may occur again.

I have to agree with Rivets on this one. I think anyone who has any dealings with mowers knows you do not buy them from Home Depot because they sell the bottom of line on mowers IMO. Nothing HD or Lowes sells in the way of lawn mowers is a Quality machine. They back nothing and there not responsible to do so. If you purchased the mower in late 2010 its two year warranty was out of late 2012 so why would you hold Ariens or Briggs responsible or expect an extension? I think if you used the machine for two seasons and you purchased it from Home Depot you've done well, most from there don't last that long without maintenance of some kind.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have to agree with Rivets on this one. I think anyone who has any dealings with mowers knows you do not buy them from Home Depot because they sell the bottom of line on mowers IMO. Nothing HD or Lowes sells in the way of lawn mowers is a Quality machine. They back nothing and there not responsible to do so. If you purchased the mower in late 2010 its two year warranty was out of late 2012 so why would you hold Ariens or Briggs responsible or expect an extension? I think if you used the machine for two seasons and you purchased it from Home Depot you've done well, most from there don't last that long without maintenance of some kind.

I also have to agree with Rivets!!! I have a friend who is a service manager for a fairly large power equipment dealer and he commented to me one day while we were having lunch away from his store that he gets more warranty grief from folks who didn't purchase the machine from his store than he gets from his customers that buy his machines costing $10,000 to $40,000.
At least Sears will do something for a customer although, well I won't go there any further about Sears!!!! Some of you know what I'm thinking!!!!:cool:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

jp1961

Threads
I understand your frustration. I've never had any luck dealing with manufactures regarding problems. Solved THAT problem real quick by buying a Kubota. Kubota is to tractors what Toyota is to cars, minivans and trucks. Have a BX-2230 and have had zero problems with it. Yes they cost more, but like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Jeff

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
oldadmark, Let's clarify something. On my Intek 24 (yes, the only one I know about) the only "bolt" associated with the rockers is the pedestal. On mine these were carefully torqued AND locktited. If that is the problem you had you have a legitimate beef. Even the exhaust valve train that self destructed on mine had a properly intact pedestal bolt. Unless you are using the adjusment nut- screw term loosely it sounds like you have a case.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
oldadmark, Let's clarify something. On my Intek 24 (yes, the only one I know about) the only "bolt" associated with the rockers is the pedestal. On mine these were carefully torqued AND locktited. If that is the problem you had you have a legitimate beef. Even the exhaust valve train that self destructed on mine had a properly intact pedestal bolt. Unless you are using the adjusment nut- screw term loosely it sounds like you have a case.

Yep, if user oldadmark has a B & S Intek in that Ariens....that would explain the less-than-quality performance(as you and I from experience would both concur to:0)
The previous B & S 16hp Vanguard I owned, after 19 years(with me doing the "regular" maintenance...and never "re-torqing" ANYTHING), never missed a beat and ran like the day I bought it when the tractor fell apart around it. Now THAT was a quality B & S engine!!!!!

P.S.
I had a similar experience to the OP with my Intek where "just out of warranty" the screw that secured the choke inside the carb came loose, fell into the engine...and fortunately for me blew out the exhaust instead of seizing up a piston...and the choke stopped working(I decided to spray carb cleaner/starting fluid the first start every time I mowed versus the pricey "out-of-warranty" repair). I also didn't get any "sympathy" from Sears on the Craftsman YS4500 that engine was in and didn't even bother contacting Briggs with it out of warranty. I agree with everyone else...the OP got exactly the quality he paid for in 2010 at home depot:0(