Export thread

This forum will be dead soon.

S

slomo

This is the BEST mower forum on the net. Great group of people on here.

My comment was about all these companies leaving the gas mower biz. Honda, Snapper and numerous others are basically gone. New mowers or should I say good mowers are hard to find now. Like the older Snappers that live for 50 plus years and still going strong today. Who is left out there like this?

B

bertsmobile1

Ignoring the new Indian bike. BSA has not made a motorcycle since 1973
I am currently on 22 BSA forums ( there are more )

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Ignoring the new Indian bike. BSA has not made a motorcycle since 1973
I am currently on 22 BSA forums ( there are more )

So all the millions of gas outdoor power equipment mowers, blowers, trimmers, pressure washers, generators, etc. will just shrivel up and die if and when battery equipment becomes more popular? Surely you jest! Just because Honda and whoever else decided to drop self-propelled gas mowers, the sky is falling?! Been sniffing too much leaded fuel maybe?

StarTech

StarTech

Right now it is not the repairing of older that is the problem here it is the new equipment. I done ran into one Briggs engine that was only two years old that I couldn't get parts for. And a one year old Lincon engine that I could not get a carb rebuild kit for or any other parts. Yet a 20 yr old Tecumseh I could get parts for. And the original Tecumseh has been out the business since 2009.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Right now it is not the repairing of older that is the problem here it is the new equipment. I done ran into one Briggs engine that was only two years old that I couldn't get parts for. And a one year old Lincon engine that I could not get a carb rebuild kit for or any other parts. Yet a 20 yr old Tecumseh I could get parts for. And the original Tecumseh has been out the business since 2009.
Agreed, parts for a lot of the new stuff is made of unobtanium. Husqvarna is using a lot of it and all the battery stuff is made of it. I fix a lot of stuff from the 60's and 70's and I always seem to find parts.

I

ILENGINE

Agreed, parts for a lot of the new stuff is made of unobtanium. Husqvarna is using a lot of it and all the battery stuff is made of it. I fix a lot of stuff from the 60's and 70's and I always seem to find parts.
Kind of ironic that you can get almost every part to rebuild a car or tractor from the 30-40's and can't get parts to fix the stuff made 2 years ago.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Kind of ironic that you can get almost every part to rebuild a car or tractor from the 30-40's and can't get parts to fix the stuff made 2 years ago.
The stuff from the 30's and 40's are worth fixing

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My latest problem child. It is a bit of a collector's item a cording to the owner. It is a Brillion. He bought it sight unseen and it hasBrillion.jpg a LOT of sins. Got everthing straightened out except the goofy air vane govenor. Somebody changed the shroud and made it a ratchet recoil vs a rope and I think it is messing with the airflow. I can get stuff to fix it.

R

Rivets

Personally I think we will be running out of people to repair the equipment before we run out of equipment. Being north of 70 I’ve been fully “retired” since the pandemic, but will get at least 2 calls a week asking if I will look at a piece of equipment. 10 years ago there were 20-25 repair shops within 50 miles of me, now down to 7 I know of. Owners couldn’t find mechanics or just too old to continue working. I’ll get a call once a month from 2 of these shops when they run into an electrical problem their younger techs get stumped on. They make it worth my time to help them out.

StarTech

StarTech

There you go Rivets. It has been the case around here too. Young folks just don't want work our industry anymore. Most are too hung on their phones and social media to even stay off long enough to even talk to us techs when they are trying to get the equipment fixed.

The shops left are major pains to deal with as the owners and techs have attitude problems. I got that even refuses to sell the parts I need but one their counter poeple made the mistake let me know where they are getting their parts so I am now buying from the same distributor.

M

MowerNick

I hear that guys. Im in massachussettes and at 35 yrs old im the youngest guy around here. Its a shame. Id love to find a young guy to train.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

It might not be a bad idea to grab a bunch of engine from the scrap yard and get them running. Theirs a ton of them that get thrown away that just need something minor, like a carb rebuild.
When I first got into this business, this is how I made most of my money.
And to be honest, it was more profitable and less time consuming.

I betcha the scrap yards in California are a gold mine of used equipment.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

My comment was about all these companies leaving the gas mower biz. Honda, Snapper and numerous others are basically gone. New mowers or should I say good mowers are hard to find now. Like the older Snappers that live for 50 plus years and still going strong today. Who is left out there like this?

I watched two video's yesterday of shops closing down. One was due to health issues and moving. One was Steve's small engine saloon. Except for Youtube content he's going to keep doing, he's taking my route. Only doing his friends and family repairs. His complaints are about the same as ours.

M

MowerNick

I thought i saw a video of chickanic closing as well.

I

ILENGINE

Hers is more of a relocate, closing. Basically lost or gave up their current location, but seem to be moving into their new building at their home location. And shops closing is not a new thing.

For the most part the shop owners and techs are getting older with nobody moving up to take their place, but a another big thing that is leading to a shortage of repair location is just the dynamic of the equipment that is being sold. More of the consumer lines are ending production and being replaced with foreign import products with no service. So more of the repair work is going to be on the commercial products side.

I have personally been having strong thoughts of moving my business/career in a new direction or calling it quits myself.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yes, her husband needs a new hip. They're moving out of the rental. I think they're downsizing to a shop at their home.

upupandaway

upupandaway

I watched two video's yesterday of shops closing down. One was due to health issues and moving. One was Steve's small engine saloon. Except for Youtube content he's going to keep doing, he's taking my route. Only doing his friends and family repairs. His complaints are about the same as ours.

He is quitting because he only has so many beers to try....

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have been fixing mowers as a side hustle for over 20 years. Retired from the day job in 2019 and took the shop full time. The only shops left around me are the big dealers that make their money on sales. All the repair only shops are gone. I have run the numbers and if I wanted to open a commercial shop not on my property I would have to be a brand dealer and have about $75k to start the business. Repairs only wouldn't cut it. If I went back to doing handyman work I could probably make $100k a year working 18 hour days. No thanks, will stick to my little no overhead shop.

Great handyman vid

StarTech

StarTech

Right I am operating as a non profit as I am only charging at cost the parts and not even charging for the labor. But of course me and the IRS are fighting. So why should make more money just to pay more taxes when they would even pay me what they owe me.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You don't like it with uncle Joe's hands in your pockets?

B

bertsmobile1

Steve has enough videos out there to be making more than enough beer money for a very long time.
Trying to make a dollar is not easy these days
Right now I have better than 20 repairs in the yard that I can not get parts to fix.
If I wanted to work at a sweating pace all day & do bad jobs I could take up any of the offers from the local repair shops
But that is for the young & desperate
One job a day is enough for me to do even better if all of the customers appreciate the service they get .

The other problem is of course the throw away $ 200 supermarket junk mowers from China .

StarTech

StarTech

You don't like it with uncle Joe's hands in your pockets?
No the problem was Uncle Donald didn't pay the required money and I have been fighting for the last 4 yrs to get it. But even Uncle Joe as you put it can't get the IRS off their backsides either.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Famous quote from Ronald Reagan " What are the scariest words in the English language? I am from the government and I'm here to help"

So true

A self employed friend didn't get get the covid checks but my mother on SSI in a nursing home did and she hadn't filed a tax return in ten years at least.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

No the problem was Uncle Donald didn't pay the required money and I have been fighting for the last 4 yrs to get it. But even Uncle Joe as you put it can't get the IRS off their backsides either.
Steve’s Small Engine Salon on YouTube has 630,000 subscribers, do the math. He is making a good/great living on money from videos alone. Why would he want to put up with crabby customers? Problem will be finding good equipment for content to make new videos.

No doubt that there are not as many people interested in any mechanical, etc. these days, not just small engines. They are too busy screwing around on the internet accomplishing zero.

These days many people want to either pay someone to fix whatever their issue is, or buy a new plastic, shiny product. Rarely do they try to tackle the problem themselves. The resourcefulness and independence is virtually gone.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Most people today fix a sandwich let alone something mechanical. The US has an epidemic of so called handymen that don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold that are ripping people off. Anybody can start a handyman business and some think watching a few utube vids makes them experts. I quit doing it. The money was good but don't call me at 9 at night because your toilet doesn't work. I have seen electrical done by a handyman that could get someone killed. There should be a test before someone is allowed to shop in the electrical and plumbing sections at the home center LOL.
some of these guys should come in with clown paint on instead of a toolbox.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Steve’s Small Engine Salon on YouTube has 630,000 subscribers, do the math. He is making a good/great living on money from videos alone. Why would he want to put up with crabby customers? Problem will be finding good equipment for content to make new videos.

No doubt that there are not as many people interested in any mechanical, etc. these days, not just small engines. They are too busy screwing around on the internet accomplishing zero.

These days many people want to either pay someone to fix whatever their issue is, or buy a new plastic, shiny product. Rarely do they try to tackle the problem themselves. The resourcefulness and independence is virtually gone.

So many lawn services around mowing yards of people who have kids old enough to mow.

J

jimvw57

I was informed that I was retiring a year ago, my job was eliminated, I kept getting calls asking how to fix equipment I installed and kept running for 27 years (yeah right) My oldest son ended up moving back home and is helping out getting all those projects fixed up that have been piling up, He has finally realized how much it takes and worth to be able to fix things instead of buying new worthless junk that only lasts a short time. He is 40.... The wife complains about all the tools I have and now He is saying we can't get rid of them because we need them!
New mechanics are at a loss if they can't plug a computer in to tell them how to fix something.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I was informed that I was retiring a year ago, my job was eliminated, I kept getting calls asking how to fix equipment I installed and kept running for 27 years (yeah right) My oldest son ended up moving back home and is helping out getting all those projects fixed up that have been piling up, He has finally realized how much it takes and worth to be able to fix things instead of buying new worthless junk that only lasts a short time. He is 40.... The wife complains about all the tools I have and now He is saying we can't get rid of them because we need them!
New mechanics are at a loss if they can't plug a computer in to tell them how to fix something.

When the wife complains about having too many tools, just buy more. She's still going to be upset. But you get a new tool out of it.

Follow me for more marital advice. :oops:

J

jimvw57

When the wife complains about having too many tools, just buy more. She's still going to be upset. But you get a new tool out of it.

Follow me for more marital advice. :oops:
the 2 most important words to know when you are married..... yes Dear.... 48 years of marriage has taught me well. and remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

the 2 most important words to know when you are married..... yes Dear.... 48 years of marriage has taught me well. and remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
My wife doesn’t care what tools I buy. My tools for work make money.

There are not many people today with desire to learn skilled trades like being a mechanic. The demand for plumbers, electricians, HVAC, mechanics will always exist. So the title of this thread, “this forum will be dead soon”, is a ridiculous statement. I have skills, tools, and knowledge to repair small engines, mowers, hand held equipment, ATVs, etc. that will always be needed.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

"If women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

Wife didn't marry me for my looks.

R

Rivets

When do you know you have too many tools? My better half would like to know.

When do you know you have too many tools? My better half would like to know.
Yes that sounds very familiar here as well.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

1703457362941.png

For me it was a new broom...........................Bad mistake..

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If it has a cord on it that plugs in she doesn't want it.

Follow me for more marital tips.

👌 😅

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

"If women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

Wife didn't marry me for my looks.

Red Green is the boss. lol

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

For me it was a new broom...........................Bad mistake..

Wrong size or color?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

1703692974145.png

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Wrong size or color?
How many miles to the gallon did it get?

Wrong size or color?
Wrong time, I was standing too close to her..........

J

jbugj

If it has a cord on it that plugs in she doesn't want it.

Follow me for more marital tips.
Doncha know that everything is battery powered nowadays?:D

StarTech

StarTech

He was hinting she is a witch. :ROFLMAO:

H

hlw49

It is a shame but the younger generation are not interested in getting their hands dirty to fix anything. I am 74 years old have been doing this for going on 48 years. I have done it both ways worked for someone else and owned my own business. When I ran my own put in way too many hours a day and got tired of that and have been working for someone else for the last 24 years at 5 different shops. Love it at where I work now since it is an Ace Hardware that sells mowers and Stihl out door power equiptment. I just work on the mowers and they have another guy that does the hand held two stroke stuff. If I need nuts bolts ect. I just walk in the store and get it. There has been talk that they would shut down the repair mower part of the repair shop when I retire. I have a friend that is younger and talked to him about maybe taking my place when I retire. He seemed interested so that may be an option for the business.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I consider myself fairly handy but compared to the craftsmen that came before me I don't know jack.

R

rwtrman

Right I am operating as a non profit as I am only charging at cost the parts and not even charging for the labor. But of course me and the IRS are fighting. So why should make more money just to pay more taxes when they would even pay me what they owe me.
You have to make some profit after 3 years or the IRS considers your venture a hobby, past experience.

shurguywutt

shurguywutt

My wife hates that I am always keeping old equipment and tools... She never complains when I fix things and keep things working though... We have 2 refrigerators that are about 20-25 years old and they still work like champs. If I got the new trash they put out now I probably would have been through at least 4-6 refrigerators by now (~10 year lifespan?), how is that for efficiency. She also hates when I go run errands in my old pickup because if I see something interesting on the side of the road I may just snatch it up and throw it in the bed. She was coming home one day and said she got scared seeing two old mowers on the side of the road... After I left to run an errand those two mowers magically appeared in our garage... Haven't got around to fixing them yet... need parts LOL :LOL::LOL::LOL:

H

hlw49

My sister has an old chest type freezer that was bought in the early to mid 60's and is still working.

Disposable society, sad............

B

bertsmobile1

Disposable society, sad............
Worse
Disposable society = disposable planet
Any one know a near by one we can move to ?

StarTech

StarTech

Would invite you to Pluto but we don't accept damned Earthings anymore. They have destroyed their planet and just looking to destroy another one. We are considering turning off our heart sign.

S

SeniorCitizen

The majority of the population don't see the subtle changes .

S

SeniorCitizen

The shops left are major pains to deal with as the owners and techs have attitude problems. I got that even refuses to sell the parts I need
You were nitpicking and pissed the proprietor off ?

StarTech

StarTech

You were nitpicking and pissed the proprietor off ?
Actually they are just being protective of their bottom line. Otherwords they want all the business for themselves even through their are over booked with work. Just makes me dig deeper until I find a cooperative shop. I even had those cooperative shop to call me for help on something that they never seen but I have and I return the flavor.

Its like the local JD dealer that want to be a royal pain to deal with. But I found one a few states away that is very helpful parts wise.

shurguywutt

shurguywutt

Parts in general for auto and electrical have become a major PITA in general... Brand new Bosch alternator in 2016 for $225, a week ago a remanufactured Napa could be had for $450... I needed it that day so had to bite the bullet.

J

Jimmy the Lock

This forum will be dead soon.

Nah, all the old timers will still be hanging out... for the cheesy jokes if nothing else! laughing3.gif

StarTech

StarTech

The only with old timers is we are dropping like flies. I know as I approach retirement I have started failing apart. I now developed Afrib if not worst. There is times I breathe like I have running my fool head off and I am just laying in bed when this happens.

Nah, all the old timers will still be hanging out... for the cheesy jokes if nothing else!
laughing3.gif
I've been retired, still do some wrenching. But hanging on best I can.

StarTech

StarTech

I've been retired, still do some wrenching. But hanging on best I can.
Got to keep yourself engage somehow. I have taken playing online Sudoko myself. Got bored playing the easy puzzles so I am now doing the Medium puzzles with time between 25 and 40 minutes on resolutions. Still easier than Pita mower problems.

I

ILENGINE

Several on here just riding it out and buying our time. Between taking care of my 82 year old father and then having to take over his contributions that he can no longer perform, I will be scaling back..

StarTech

StarTech

Several on here just riding it out and buying our time. Between taking care of my 82 year old father and then having to take over his contributions that he can no longer perform, I will be scaling back..
Understand that one very well. Back when I was in my early 50's my mother develop full blown dementia. It became a 24/7 job. And six months after her death I collapsed from exhaustion. Could do a thing for the next 4-6 months myself. But this taking care of her was my duty as her son.

Yep, I get that. Be grateful your Father is still around (I'm sure you are), mine died suddenly @ 56, back on Nov 1st, 1979. That hit me hard.

Understand that one very well. Back when I was in my early 50's my mother develop full blown dementia. It became a 24/7 job. And six months after her death I collapsed from exhaustion. Could do a thing for the next 4-6 months myself. But this taking care of her was my duty as her son.
Understand that as well, hard to deal with, & doing your duty.. My Mom passed back in 2014 from the same thing, she was 95. She was up in PA, my youngest sister took care of her.. I went up as much as I could. But many times she didn't know me or my lil sister.

J

Jimmy the Lock

Yeah, I'm "blessed" with being a step kid in my "family"

My mom left my dad when me and my big sister were infants and got remarried so I'm not a part of this new family where my mom had 2 sons with my step dad. (he passed on back in the late 90s)

So they are all bossy and all that so they all take care of my mom. All they wanted from me was money so once I figured that out I cut way back on that.. all her assets are paid for and she gets enough from social security to meet her monthly household expenses.

I'd like to be more involved with my Mom's care but all the other kids are so bossy and act like I'm sticking my nose in their business when trying to help so I let them have it. Not going to fight and argue to try and help when it's not wanted.

I

ILENGINE

Yeah, I'm "blessed" with being a step kid in my "family"

My mom left my dad when me and my big sister were infants and got remarried so I'm not a part of this new family where my mom had 2 sons with my step dad. (he passed on back in the late 90s)

So they are all bossy and all that so they all take care of my mom. All they wanted from me was money so once I figured that out I cut way back on that.. all her assets are paid for and she gets enough from social security to meet her monthly household expenses.

I'd like to be more involved with my Mom's care but all the other kids are so bossy and act like I'm sticking my nose in their business when trying to help so I let them have it. Not going to fight and argue to try and help when it's not wanted.
In my case I am the only full child of my dad. Have 1 half brother (deceased) and 3 half sisters(one deceased, one basically disowned) from my mom's previous marriage. So I am the sole caregiver since mom passed away back in December 2021 (called the coroner myself)

woodstover

woodstover

I don't think so, there will be gas powered equipment out there for a while yet. Not everyone is able to purchase something new (battery powered). A good amount of equipment is still serviceable and repairable for less than buying new. I worry more about small engine shops slowly running out of customers.

woodstover

woodstover

Just watched a new video from Chik, she's back in business from home now.