Thermowax Change Out

Rich M.

Threads
Just a quick question on the carb. When you put a new carb on this mower, is it a simple bolt on replacement and your ready to go or are there adjustments to make after you replace it?
Quick bolt on. Takes about 20 minutes. Take picture before so you know where to reconnect the governor rod and spring. No big deal.

bill18163

Threads
I have a question about my service manual. I don't know where I downloaded this manual from but it is a full Honda service manual and I have been using it for my HRX217VKA K4 mower. The manual I have is for a HRX217VKA K6 mower. Does anyone know if there is much of a difference in the information between the two manuals as far as making adjustments or repairs?

Rich M.

Threads
I do not have the HRX manual, mine is for HRR and covers three versions. Not much difference between the three version in the manual, but one difference is the carburetor and gaskets needed. The other difference is the transmission and some related parts are slightly different and some differences in removing the transmission between the K7 and K9.

bill18163

Threads
I think I finally have the mower repaired. I should explain what went on. As I said in the beginning of this post I replaced the thermowax module and the choke control. That did not cure the problem of not starting. I mentioned somewhere that it looked like there was a flooding condition because every time I opened the air filter housing there was raw gas laying in there and weeping down the housing. I ordered a new carb because parts for the carb were more costly than just getting a new one. I got the new carb and it was damaged. They sent me another one. This all took time and by the time I got around to installing the new carb a few weeks had passed. By the way. I ordered the new carb from "Boats.net". They treated me like a king. Two days from when I notified them I had a replacement carb. They didn't even want the damaged carb back. I would not be afraid to purchase anything from them in the future. I installed the carb and the mower starts on the first pull and there is no flooding condition evident. As I think this through, I think that there could have been a problem with the float valve leaking in the carb which would have allowed fuel to leak by and flow down and cause the flooding problem when trying to start the mower. That's just my own opinion of what might have happened. Thanks for all the input from everyone on this issue.

olgeezershonda

Threads
I think I finally have the mower repaired. I should explain what went on. As I said in the beginning of this post I replaced the thermowax module and the choke control. That did not cure the problem of not starting. I mentioned somewhere that it looked like there was a flooding condition because every time I opened the air filter housing there was raw gas laying in there and weeping down the housing. I ordered a new carb because parts for the carb were more costly than just getting a new one. I got the new carb and it was damaged. They sent me another one. This all took time and by the time I got around to installing the new carb a few weeks had passed. By the way. I ordered the new carb from "Boats.net". They treated me like a king. Two days from when I notified them I had a replacement carb. They didn't even want the damaged carb back. I would not be afraid to purchase anything from them in the future. I installed the carb and the mower starts on the first pull and there is no flooding condition evident. As I think this through, I think that there could have been a problem with the float valve leaking in the carb which would have allowed fuel to leak by and flow down and cause the flooding problem when trying to start the mower. That's just my own opinion of what might have happened. Thanks for all the input from everyone on this issue.
Thanks for the update. It will help others looking to solve a similar problem. As for your diagnosis you could be right.

Rich M.

Threads
Glad it worked out and the various suggestions put you on the right path.