twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
One-liners.

Long rants.

Arguments.

Novellas.

Just a hello.

All of these make up a postcount. I realize Kenny doesn't like the postcounting system. I happen to disagree to a point. I do agree when one person holds it above another member (which I've done, but I'll explain in a bit) it's not the wisest use of a postcount. HOWEVER, a postcount to me shows participation. You can be a member for months and months, and hardly ever post. You're a watcher then, I'd expect - not one who participates. So, when the time comes to disagree, maybe or maybe not your level of participation lends credence to your complaint.

As to complaints where this participation is placed, and to whether it should or should NOT count is to me, a crock. Every post means something. Even in "the chronicles', many times a one-liner or just a smiley adds to what's being said - and it's like laughing at a comedy show live. It in itself is participation, and lends to the overall atmosphere - and therefore also has worth.

There is a certain member who tends to do most participating (along with myself, as of late) in the off-topic, or "Front Porch" forum. These posts, too are valueable. Anyone who claims that all they want to talk about here is lawnmowers is either stretching the truth, or as dull as the paint on my Dynasty (or more than welcome to steer clear of the FP). The Front Porch is a great place for people who just want to talk. JD, errrr.....this member is a great asset to always keeping this section alive, as well as liveLY. For people who have neither the depth nor breadth of knowledge of KennyV, but still want to come here and have fun, can hang out in the FP. JD will likely talk to them. Unless they are arrogant.

Which brings me to the final section of this rant. I believe that this forum is kinda like McDonald's - lotsa (mostly older) guys drinking coffee and BS'ing about lawnmowers and whatnot. If you were to walk into that McDonald's, sit down and say something foolish to the whole group - someone (probably a regular) will likely ask you who the **** you think you are. Then if you, as a newcomer, decide you are going to berate one of the longtimers there for even suggesting that they have any kind of position over you and wax poetic or profane about blah blah blah - anyone but me see the arrogance in this scenario? Yes, your participation and length of time there DO give longtimers a bit of an edge - but it's easily overcome if you can manage, just for a few miserable days, to not act like an a**hat! You'll be welcomed in, ribbed, and just as much 'one of the guys' as anyone else. But, I do believe in "paying your dues". Participate a bit. Add something besides strife to the forum, then go strutting around like you own the joint. If you haven't contributed anything but crap, I do think your critique of a more senior member is way outa line.

In conclusion, IMHO postcounts are indeed proof you've 'paid your dues'. All you have to do is participate, and your postcount will be as high as anyone - and we'll see how YOU act toward a newbie who wants to p*** in YOUR cheerios. Some will take it in the grace and stride KennyV does. My hat's off to you. You're a better man than me, a true prince among men, a saint.... (blah blah blah). Others like myself and JD won't. But, every post does count. Even if you are an a**hat to begin with, by the time you're up to 500+, you'll have learned to be a worthwhile member.

Just maybe. :wink:

Last edited:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Very well said Twall, and you get my seal of approval for grammar and spelling! :thumbsup:

Not many get that, so you should be proud :biggrin:

I am interested as to who you are talking about in regards to somebody posting regularly in the FP ?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
[..]I am interested as to who you are talking about in regards to somebody posting regularly in the FP ?

I know - cardinal sin to edit a quote, but still. :wink:

I already "oops" mentioned him. :biggrin: Your posts count, too - in my book. Even if you are still a n00b. :laughing:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I know - cardinal sin to edit a quote, but still. :wink:

I already "oops" mentioned him. :biggrin: Your posts count, too - in my book. Even if you are still a n00b. :laughing:
I'm completely baffled by everything you said there... :laughing:

Care to explain in simpler terms ? :laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm completely baffled by everything you said there... :laughing:

Care to explain in simpler terms ? :laughing:

*siiiiiigh* :rolleyes:

JD, MAN..........JD!!!!!!!

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
*siiiiiigh* :rolleyes:

JD, MAN..........JD!!!!!!!
Ah! The King you mean! I thought it might be him, but you completely confused me with your cryptic reply :laughing:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Oh, and I take it you are back for good... Again ? :confused2:

If so - Great! :thumbsup:

You bring some brightness back into a normally morbid Porch! :biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh, and I take it you are back for good... Again ? :confused2:

If so - Great! :thumbsup:

You bring some brightness back into a normally morbid Porch! :biggrin:

I'm back as long as my nerves hold out with some of the membership here. I'm not getting myself banned - and that would be likely if I went to town on some people.

However, I'm wearing no wedding ring, here - yeah, that's right! My needs were not addressed here, so I went somewhere else for satisfaction! If you think you're getting alimony, you can.....

O poo - wrong fight.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ah! The King you mean! I thought it might be him, but you completely confused me with your cryptic reply :laughing:

Cryptic good. Halloween, it is. In season, I am........